Green Spotted Puffers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
I saw some in a fish store and I read that they get pretty big. What is caring for one of these like?

Let me clarify that. I saw them at Wal Mart. There's no way their being cared for properly there as they are crammed into a small tank. I don't want to get in over my head, but I thought I could do a better job taking care of them than their current situation.

well they start off freshwater, but will need highly brackish water to full marine conditions at adulthood.

read about themHERE

I currently have one by himself in a 50 gallon tank but in 6 months he will be moving to my 80 gallon tank.Once he is in the 80 I MAY try to get 1 or 2 clown fish after I add some LR to the tank.Otherwise he will be the sole inhabitant of the 80 as well.I saw some full size GSPs in a store and would not recommend keeping them in less then a 50 gallon, even though a 30 is the minimum recommended size.
Currently I maintain the SG around 1.018. He is ~ 4" long.I also run a skimmer and do 25% weekly changes.

Thats why I said I might, not will, get a clownfish. It will depend on how much LR I purchase and how well lines of sight are broken up. If it doesn't work out I will put the clown(s) in the 50 which is going to be used as a sump/refugium.

I have kept GSP's, and I would say the 30 gallon guideline is a good one. To say not in less than 50g is very cautious in my opinion. I have even kept them with clowns for a short time (about a month) and didn't have any problems. Although I would not recommend it. I'm sure it would just be a matter of time before a clown looked like a snack to the puffer. They can be a fun fish with lots of personality. Enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom