Heater advice needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dusty280

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just purchased a 20 gallon long glass fish tank. The tank will need a 100 watt heater. The tank height is just about 9 inches. I am looking for a heater powerful enough for this tank but also only with a height of 9 inches. I really don't want to place the heater horizontal in the tank if I can help it. Any suggestions?

3 options:
1.) try a heater that matches your height. example: marineland 100W heater is around 10"(+) tall vs azoo 100W heater is around 6.5".
2.) try 2-50w heaters
3.) inline heaters connected to canister filter

These are just my first thoughts on the issue. Hope I got u brain storming. Try #1 first, unless you already have the heater.

According to Eheim, a 20 watt Jagger heater is sufficient for 20 gallons. The size a heater needs to be is relative to the temperature difference you are trying to maintain compare to the room temp. i am using a 50 W Jagger in a 15 in the basement where the temp is often below 70 and it heats the tank no problem, even into the 80s.

I really don't want to place the heater horizontal in the tank if I can help it.

Is there a specific reason why? I was wondering, because you get much better heat distribution through the tank (no cold pockets) if you position it horizontally.

I'm curious how is it that you get better heat distribution by placing a heater horizontally? Is it because the heater is running down across the length of the tank rather than up along the height of the tank? If you have good water circulation why should it mater?

If you have your heater horizontally across the bottom of the back wall of the tank, you're getting much more even distribution across the span of the tank than if you have a heater vertically in one corner of the tank, where now it has to radiate out over a much larger area of the water column.

Many of us put airstones/bubblers beneath the heater which then carries the heated water up and through the water column even more effectively.

I have a Hydor Theo in my 20L. I can't remember if it's 100W or 150W, but it stretches from top to bottom in the tank.

You should get an Aqueon Pro heater 100w. They look pretty stealthy and aren't too big. Furthermore, they come with a lifetime warranty which I really like. Mine has been going on strong for 2 years now and it keeps the temp very stable. The reviews are 5 stars on Amazon (you can read the review there too).

It may be a little more pricier than the competitors, but you won't have to worry about it with it's reputation and warranty to boot.

I also have a Fluval M heater, which is a bit cheaper and isn't bad too. It's just a little longer though and made of glass in comparison.

Back
Top Bottom