Hello all!! -4ft new set-up recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GuruCube

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all,
Ive been lingering here for a while, but after moving house Ive finally registered! :)
I currently have a 60cm main tank housing 8 Black Neon Tetras and a 'Thai Stone Sucker' (So my LFS called it... basically a slightly slick looking Flying Fox). Lovely tank and running nicely.
I also have a 30cm empty quarantine alongside.

Now I have the extra space, Ive recently got hold of a 4ft tank (48x15x18) that Im designing a stand for. Having realised the massive weight of these buggers, Ive well over-engineered it. Hmm... watch this space for the results! :?
Also, I think its time to give up the UGF and go for a nice external filter. Ive read in a few places that Eheim are really good. Are they worth splashing out the extra cash on? Or would a Fluval or similar do the job? Please give me your recommendations. The tank will basically be holding the current stock plus a few extra live plants and some extra tetras and a pleco to start with.

Oh, and if theres any other advice people want to mention, fire away! I like to get as much advice as I can!

Cheers!
Ben

Hi Ben,
that's a really nice tank you got there. congrats. on the canister, if you can, go for the eheims. they are extremely reliable and efficient. having used a fluval for a long time, i'd definitely recommend an eheim over it. don't get me wrong, a fluval gets the most bang for the buck, but they are flimsyly built.
that's a nice shape on the 4' tank. is it custom-made?

triazole said:
Hi Ben,
that's a really nice tank you got there. congrats. on the canister, if you can, go for the eheims. they are extremely reliable and efficient. having used a fluval for a long time, i'd definitely recommend an eheim over it. don't get me wrong, a fluval gets the most bang for the buck, but they are flimsyly built.

I totally agree with triazole. I have an eheim 2026 and an xp 2. If you have the money get the Eheim. The XP 2 will get the job done, but it's just not as nice as the Eheim.

Ok, cheers chaps. I was thinking about the Eheim Pro 2224... Seems to be pretty good and my LFS - who are very helpful - swear by them. Their shop runs on Eheim! :D

triazole said:
that's a really nice tank you got there. congrats.
Cheers! I just hope I can get a similar effect in the new one!
triazole said:
Hmmm... not that I know of?! I thought they were standard 4' dimensions. But yes, it is a nice generous shape. :D
This is the pic from ebay... I'll get a better one once it comes out from hiding behind my dining table! ;)

the standard 4' has only 12" (55g) or 18" (75g) width. believe me, this tank is a lot better than a standard 55g. the extra 3" don't seem a lot now, but will count while aquascaping. have a great time setting things up, and choosing fishies!!

Back
Top Bottom