HELP, a 72 gal. bowfront, cloudy water every 3 days!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

j_raymond65

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've had my 72 gal. bowfront for about 6 weeks now, the past 4 weeks it has become very cloudy, seems to have started doing this after adding a few large pieces of driftwood to the tank. I have read that this is possibly a filtration problem, and I have since added a second Emperor 400 bio-wheel filtration system, and still the water remains cloudy. Can anyone help me solve this problem, it would be much appreciated. 8O

Did you soak your driftwood prior to putting it in the tank? I had to boil and soak both of mine for quite some time before putting them in the tank, because they do create cloudiness if not soaked first.

Cloudy water...

No, I did not boil them at all. Do you think it would help now? I know I probably need to get some activated carbon in my filters to help this somewhat also.

Based on what you've said, I suspect this is the cause of your cloudiness that keeps returning. I don't know if taking them out and soaking and boiling them now will help or hurt (others may comment), but if it was me I would take them out and soak and/or boil them.

I have heard soaking alone takes about a week. I boiled mine (bring water to a boil in a huge pot - stock pot for mine because I had large pieces - then simmer on low. I think I had mine simmer in boiling water for about 8-10 hours). Then I soaked it, changing the water daily for two days afterward. I had no problems with discoloration in either of my tanks. You can usually tell when the driftwood is ready, because when you rinse it out the water will be clear that comes from it.

OK, I have removed thr driftwood, and boiled it for a couple of days. I have since soaked it for about one week. During this time, I did a few partial water changes, and got the tank very clear. But, just a few days ago, it started clouding up again and the only thing in the tank is the gravel rock. Should I boil & clean this too? Could it be the source of the cloudiness? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Helpful article, but I disagree that phosphates and minerals (hard water) will cause the water to appear cloudy - that is just not so.

Driftwood should not actually cloud the water, but rather stain it a tea color, unless of course it was dirty and had a lot of debris on it. I'd say you have a bacterial bloom, which can easily be brought about from disturbing the substrate too much, like when you add new decor like the driftwood. Have you tested your water for nitrite and ammonia? If these levels are dead, flat zero then this is almost definitely a bacteral bloom that will resolve itself. Do water changes to keep nitrate down, as usual, but try not to disturb the gravel or clean out the filters, or otherwise disturb the bacteria as it settles and gets established.

Back
Top Bottom