Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-20-2020, 02:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Help! Donít know what to do

I have a 10 gallon tank thatís been fine for a while month I have 1 betta 4 bottom feeders and had 3 guppies. Today one guppy died with part of its tail missing, the others are fine though and suddenly there have been dark brown/black spots that donít move near the tank and I did a water change around 25% 3-4 weeks ago to remove the algae and nothing will leave it keeps coming back. What should I do? Iím thinking of removing all the fish into a temporary tank and cleaning the whole thing out but Iím not sure I have no plants in it currently either!

Old 02-20-2020, 04:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

We need more information. Can you please tell us what your Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate levels are? Also, your Betta prolly chewed your guppy’s tail.

dcutl002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 05:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I currently do not have anything to test the levels and won’t be able to get any for a while is there anything I can do to be able to check the levels? I’m thinking of cleaning the whole tank out and putting the fish in my old 10gal maybe
Old 02-20-2020, 05:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'll itemize what I think for you.
1. I change 50% of my aquarium water every week; so, I recommend the same for you.
2. Bettas are solitary fish and like to be kept alone. There are exceptions, but for the most part I recommend just one Betta for a 10 gallon tank.
3. Guppies with long fins and Male Betas are a bad mix.
4. Male Bettas love "live" plants. They like to hide and will even lay within the foliage.
5. Do not just dump the fish in another receptacle and clean the tank out. You will kill any or all beneficial bacteria that exists and it takes a while to get a tank cycled.

Questions:
1. Are you familiar with The Nitrogen Cycle? There is a tutorial somewhere in this forum. I forget where at the moment.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

2. Can you take a picture of the spots? As clear as possible please.
3. Are you planning on purchasing "live" plants? I believe plants help the fish to live longer, healthier lives. But, that is only my opinion.
dcutl002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com