Help Lowering pH!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MaffooJ

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello! I recently set up a 20 gallon aquarium, cycled of course, and have found my pH is at 7.8. I just added 1 gourami and 10 neon tetras, along with a couple of plants today. I need help lowering the pH as my gourami seems stressed. Any help is welcome! :fish2: :thanks:

Hello! I recently set up a 20 gallon aquarium, cycled of course, and have found my pH is at 7.8. I just added 1 gourami and 10 neon tetras, along with a couple of plants today. I need help lowering the pH as my gourami seems stressed. Any help is welcome! :fish2: :thanks:

Your pH is just fine, there's no need to change it as a stable pH is far better than one that changes. The fish will adapt to 7.8 quite nicely. The gourami is just stressed from being added to a new tank.

How did you cycle this tank?

Agree don't change your ph.. Ph has always been higher than 7.6 and my fish have adapted nicely.. A stable environment is always better than changes every time you do a water change

Haha, good to know. The pH has stayed like that for about a week, so hopefully it won't change. I cycled the tank by letting the filter run with a pad in it, put dirty gravel from my 55 gallon into it, squeezed juice into the water from a filter pad in my 55g, cranked the heater up to about 80F, and let it sit for a month. All nitrite, nitrate, and ammonia have been at 0 for the past week, so I thought I would buy some fish and plants. I hope they adjust nicely. Thanks for all the help guys!!

Haha, good to know. The pH has stayed like that for about a week, so hopefully it won't change. I cycled the tank by letting the filter run with a pad in it, put dirty gravel from my 55 gallon into it, squeezed juice into the water from a filter pad in my 55g, cranked the heater up to about 80F, and let it sit for a month. All nitrite, nitrate, and ammonia have been at 0 for the past week, so I thought I would buy some fish and plants. I hope they adjust nicely. Thanks for all the help guys!!

If you let it sit for a month without an ammonia source than all the BB you added are likely dead :( I would suggest that you keep a close eye on parameters for a while, might be worth trying to add BB again.

The only ammonia source I did was add couple of food pellets to the tank every now and then. Good idea to keep an eye on the parameters. Thanks!

Yes leave your ph anyone who tells you different don't listen to them. There is no need to mess with a stable environment unless your breeding! Discus have bred in that ph!

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Yes leave your ph anyone who tells you different don't listen to them. There is no need to mess with a stable environment unless your breeding! Discus have bred in that ph! Now to think of it same with a pair of my rams.

Back
Top Bottom