Help pick fish for 10G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sammy S

Aquarium Advice Activist
So.....the tank is a 10g half moon and has been cycled now (with plants, fishfood and fish in) and just found out gourami do not belong in the tank...so I adopted them out.

What fish should I place in the 10 Gall besides neons?
Are female gourami aggressive?

My ten gallon I have

2 otocats
2 guppies
1 female betta
2 African dwarf frogs

Sammy S said:
Since gourami are like betta....will the female gourami be ok with those guys or should I adopt her out as well?

I have never kept gourami for the fact that the grow huge and a ten gallon is way to small for them well unless it's a dwarf gourami but even then I wouldn't

gourami's grow to 4" or 5"... get a couple Dwarf Gourami's and some black skirt tetra's and an algae eater.. chinese algae eaters grow to 9" so find one that maxes out to like 3".

CRUSHER said:
gourami's grow to 4" or 5"... get a couple Dwarf Gourami's and some black skirt tetra's and an algae eater.. chinese algae eaters grow to 9" so find one that maxes out to like 3".
I agree for algae eater get a couple of oto cats!

Are otocats hard to feed? I'll look into the tetras :D I'd like to stay away from neons cause I heard they are hard to keep -_-;;

No the eat algae just drop an algae wafer or some cucumber lol

Nice! Sounds like a nice keep for my tank I'll definitely look into those

Some people on forums told me to get a gourami but didn't specify and the store told me the blue paradise is nice for the tank, but after the male killed the neon and aggrivates the female, I am giving him away, but I'd like to know if I should adopt her out too

I wouldn't keep her either, they grow too large for a 10 gal.

Neon Tetras also should ideally have more horizontal swim space than a 10 gal can provide as they are very active fish.

I'd be careful with Otos; they are very picky eaters and prefer algae and if none is present many of them will not take well to algae wafers and end up starving to death, particularly in a small tank where if there is algae present they will eat it rather quickly and then starve.

OK this sounds kinda hard then....what about sword tails or bleeding hearts?

Yes, sadly paradise gouramis are some very aggressive fish. It's too bad because they're so beautiful. It's mainly the males that have the bad reputation, but since they grow to about 4 inches, it's a good idea to get rid of the female. It's too bad they didn't sell you a dwarf gourami, they're really excellent fish.

Sword tails get too big IMO, so do bleeding hearts. The truth is that most of the commonly available fish you see at all petstores mostly do not beling in a 10g tank if you want them to grow to full isze and see their full range of behaviors. Sometimes the larger fish will live in a 10g tank, but you really miss out on a lot of behavior and the fish do not often live to their full lifespan potential.
Here are some fish that would do really well in a 10g. Remember that not all of these fish are compatable with each other and they have specific needs, so I recommend researching them if you are interested.
Dwarf puffer, microrasbora (like erythromicron and kubotai), shell dwelling cichlids (I recommend either brevis or multifaciatus), dwarf gourami, ember tetras, scarlet badis, sparkling gourami, croaking gourami, celestial pearl danio, pygmy cory (pygmaeus, habrosus, hastatus), Asian stone catfish, clown killifish, least killifish, pygmy hatchetfish, green neons, guppies, platies, otocinclus (just 2), chili rasbora, betta, and Endler's livebearers. There are also awesome dwarf shrimp and nerite snails.

Sword tails get too big IMO, so do bleeding hearts. The truth is that most of the commonly available fish you see at all petstores mostly do not beling in a 10g tank if you want them to grow to full isze and see their full range of behaviors. Sometimes the larger fish will live in a 10g tank, but you really miss out on a lot of behavior and the fish do not often live to their full lifespan potential.
Here are some fish that would do really well in a 10g. Remember that not all of these fish are compatable with each other and they have specific needs, so I recommend researching them if you are interested.
Dwarf puffer, microrasbora (like erythromicron and kubotai), shell dwelling cichlids (I recommend either brevis or multifaciatus), dwarf gourami, ember tetras, scarlet badis, sparkling gourami, croaking gourami, celestial pearl danio, pygmy cory (pygmaeus, habrosus, hastatus), Asian stone catfish, clown killifish, least killifish, pygmy hatchetfish, green neons, guppies, platies, otocinclus (just 2), chili rasbora, betta, and Endler's livebearers. There are also awesome dwarf shrimp and nerite snails.

That's a really good list thank you very much! Honestly I will probably stay away from male gourami cause I can't stand the aggressive behavior, but the neons, corys and ember tetras look nice :cool: I'll have a look at them! I have 3 betta's already :lol: so those are out

Thank you and I'll let you know what I purchased!

Yes, sadly paradise gouramis are some very aggressive fish. It's too bad because they're so beautiful. It's mainly the males that have the bad reputation, but since they grow to about 4 inches, it's a good idea to get rid of the female. It's too bad they didn't sell you a dwarf gourami, they're really excellent fish.

The store selling them told me they would be excellent starters for a 10 gallon....perfect with the neon fish which I learned 3 hours later is a big NONO. I will only conduct my own research now, not to what stores try to sell

Did someone mention Chinese Algae eaters here - I beg - please NO... I had to adopt out the two that came with my tank - they're awful creatures IMHO - I would see them come out of hiding, attack other fish then go back. Then I would see them actually try and suck on other fish! Just awful. They are really sucking loaches.

I am also trying to restock a 10 gallon (the take I am fostering). It was all wrong. I built a 36 gallon and I'm building a 72 gallon for the bigger fish.

I was going to go with neons and maybe some guppies and with 1 female betta...

Back
Top Bottom