Help with New Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slakker

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Where does one go to find eqpt. at such prices. I was given a 55 gal tank. I am a lucky newbie and know so little about the different filter systems. would like plants living and read in one plant lovers book he uses under the gravel, and plants do well. Anyway what gives the most bang for the buck

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe that is keepit simple stupid- my god where does one go to find eqpt. at such prices. I was given a 55 gal tank. I am a lucky newbie and know so little about the different filter systems. would like plants living and rread in one plant lovers book he uses under the gravel, and plants do well. Anyway what gives the most bang for the buck
Start a new thread and other will give you lots of info and suggestions

What equipment are you looking for specifically? For filters, people seem to really like Aqua Clear brand. I have a AquaClear 50 on my 30g and it does wonders and is very quiet.

Let us know what you are looking for and we can point you in the right direction.

Need to decide exactly what you want to do and how involved you want the tank to be. You said live plants, but do you want a high-light high tech setup, or a low-light easy setup.

Read through the stickies in the planted section, they'll provide you with a ton of information to help you decide what you want to do, then we can help you tailor your equipment to meet your goals.

Welcome to AA!

I believe the OP's question stemmed from this post:
My wife bought me a 55 gallon tank with stand pluse a HOB filter, heater, 2 powerheads, canopy with ligts, and undergravel filter for 100.00.

This setup was more than likely bought on craigslist or something like it. I bought mine (stand, tank, hood, heater, river rocks for $40) on craigslist. You can find some really good prices esp on the bigger tanks because ppl are wanting to get rid of them b/c they're taking up space, moving, need money.

Most people dont use under gravel filters any longer. For that size tank a canister filter would be best IMO but HOB filters work also. You deff want one or more that are rated at much larger then your tank size. So you could use the one you have and get another of either type to get good water movement.

aside:markmahrenholz is too long for y'all to type does slaker work better?
today i purchased an emperor 400 filter and heater from amazon then found both for less at drs foster&smith c'est la vie, next plant promotional substrate with a light crushed coral and shell over. Then must ( $ becoming an issue) find quality co2 system at friend price. thanks to all for the interest and help as i am new to the site don't exactly know my way around. learning curve. need good site for substrates and to see pictures of many aquariums. this one i believe... again thanks

yeah-i feel the dolt- well tank and stand -free paid full for filter$heater-- gracias por la tip--be shoppin there

we have very good natural light where she stands- talked to good man showed him pics of room with a window on each side and two high above at the 20' ceiling- natural light will almost do. co2 system now main concern. theme of the art is florida/keys reef system with plants in freshwater---cause i'm jus startin

Since you're going with Natural Light, I recommend that you read up on Diane Walstad. She has a method that works well when using natural sunlight. It has it's own quirks because you can't control the amount of light. You can't just cut back on duration because you're fighting algae problems, etc.

Back
Top Bottom