Help with tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TVMartinez

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 20 gallon tank and have one bottom feeder and a male betta in there and was just wanting advice on filters, and what a vacuum is and how they work. Also looking for tips on water changes.

Vacuums clean the sand/gravel and takes out dead and decaying matter so ammonia in the tank stays low (too much ammonia kills fish).

For water changes just take about 25% of the water out of the tank once a week and put new water in.

I have to ask though, what type of bottom feeder do you have? If you don't know, search up all of these and tell me which one looks closest:

Pleco
Chinese algae eater
Otocinclus
Cory catfish

It's probably one of those 4. If it's an algae eater or a pleco you need to take it out. If it's an otocinclus or a cory catfish you should get more because they like to be in groups.

It is a pleco I just forgot the name. So as far as that goes it needs to be taken out?

Also do you think a sponge filter is the best option. I was thinking about putting in a sand substrate.

It is a pleco I just forgot the name. So as far as that goes it needs to be taken out?

Depending on the species of pleco, it can get rather large and a 20 gallon will be insufficient in size.

Assuming you will rehome the pleco, you will have a pretty large home for that one betta... have you considered adding some community fish?

Depending on the species of pleco, it can get rather large and a 20 gallon will be insufficient in size.

Assuming you will rehome the pleco, you will have a pretty large home for that one betta... have you considered adding some community fish?

Be careful adding fish with a Betta... It's always a hit or miss. Corydoras and Otocinclus are proven to work with most bettas.

Clown pleco's are good for smaller tanks.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Of course compatibility is key. A 20 gallon is a decent size for a betta, and depending on planting and decorations, should be able to make it work.

Of course compatibility is key. A 20 gallon is a decent size for a betta, and depending on planting and decorations, should be able to make it work.

Either big decorations or pretty nicely planted. Or just get fish bigger than him that won't try to hurt him.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

There are 4 types of pleco that it probably could be:

Common pleco- grows to 15" and needs a much bigger tank than a 20 gallon.
Rubber lip pleco- grows to 7" and I wouldn't recommend one in a 20 gallon.
Bristle nose pleco- grows to 4" and is the best pleco choice for that size of tank.
Clown pleco- grows to 5" and is another good choice of pleco.

Search up these 4 and see which one looks the closest.

If you want a sand substrate, you can use almost any filter. I use HOB ( hang on the back) filters on most of my tanks. I just add a sponge prefilter over the intake to prevent sand from getting into the filter. I prefer HOB's as I want very little equipment in the tank itself. I would rather look at plants and fish than equipment. I use a black background so it hides my filter from view. I have lots of live plants in my tanks.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426440407.498403.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426440422.616556.jpg

A 20g would be small for most Plecos. If your Pleco was cheap, it's probably a Common. They get 12-24" and are poop machines. Look it up ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Just an update on my tank. Took out the pleco and got him to a friend with a MUCH bigger aquarium. And Craig the crown tail betta is swimming happy alone in his tank.

Back
Top Bottom