Hey! Newbie with cycling questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CMS1288

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everybody, this is my first post!

So a few days ago I bought a 38 gallon tank. I've read up on cycling and I just need some advice on how to proceed. So far, I've obviously dechlorinated the water and let it run with a Marineland Penguin 200 for a good 48 hours. The water is a little cloudy but I figured that's normal for a new tank. Then yesterday I got 4 neon tetras, to see if I had any luck getting a cycle going. All died within 14 hours, and I've only found 1 fish... So I guess the other fish will provide some ammonia. Now 24 hours later my tank is a little cloudy and slightly brownish (possibly due to tannins from a piece of wood decoration), plus smells a little musty. Could my tank be starting to cycle? I did a 15% water change today as well.

So where should I go from here? I don't have an ammonia or nitrite test kit yet so I guess I'll have to get that. Should I try more fish? Btw I don't really want to do a fishless cycle. I have a few Anubas (spelling?) plants as well in there.

Thanks for your help!

Hello CMS...

You'll need hardy fish, to cycle the tank. By hardy, I mean fish that don't mind living in poor water conditions for a month or so. There are several species that will easily tolerate higher nitrogen levels. If you like Livebearers, then get some feeder female Guppies or Platys from the local fish store. I prefer the female Guppies, because they come pregnant and you'll have some little ones in the tank.

If you prefer egg layers, then Zebra Danios and White Clouds are fine too.

Just get a few and put them into the tank along with some floating plants like Anacharis and Pennywort. Have a good water testing kit handy and check the tank water every day for traces of ammonia and nitrite. These forms of nitrogen are produced from the fish waste and are toxic. So, if a test shows a trace of either of these, you remove and replace 25 percent of the tank water, but no more. You need to leave a little waste to grow the bacteria that will eventually help maintain safe water conditions for your fish.

Test daily and remove the water when needed. After several daily tests show no trace of ammonia or nitrite, your tank is cycled. You can reduce your water changes to half the tank about every week or two. But, continue to test the water periodically to make sure it's safe for your fish.

These are the basics to tank cycling with fish.

B

Back
Top Bottom