Hi All....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nightstalker3188

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All...

just started cycling my 48l fishbox, got everything set up, filter is a Fluval 2 plus with 2 sponges and a poly filter in between. Heater running at 30C to encourage the cycling a bit. 5 plants and some rocks....
See Pic link below...

Also if anyone can advise, I've got some wierd white stuff growing on the rocks/plants and glass... some guys advised that it could be Hydra - I've now got some pics of it attached to this thread, however all the pics of Hydra I've seen online this looks nothing like it...

Gotta start thinking on stocking next month... looking at Guppys/Rainbow Celebes - love those - amano or red crystal shrimp as my scrubbers, some glowlight tiger tetras and a couple of dwarf frogs to keep snails at bay...

Attachments

• IMAG0224.jpg
    IMAG0224.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMAG0222-1.jpg
    IMAG0222-1.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMAG0222.jpg
    IMAG0222.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 50
How are you dosing ammonia? You need an ammonia source to start the cycle. If you haven't seen it, read the link below in my signature called: new empty tank, it'll walk you through it.

The white stuff could just be a fungus from the rocks, it's hard to see in the pic. Probably nothing to worry about though. You can just clean it off.

How are you dosing ammonia? You need an ammonia source to start the cycle. If you haven't seen it, read the link below in my signature called: new empty tank, it'll walk you through it.

The white stuff could just be a fungus from the rocks, it's hard to see in the pic. Probably nothing to worry about though. You can just clean it off.

I've read about that...
However when I spoke to my LFS they advised I only need this Pure Aquarium stuff, and I've also read you can put fish flakes in to get amonia going... TBH I still need to get a propper water test kit... I go these strips which (as I've now found out) are not all to reliable and also they dont measure amonia levels, just PH nitrites/ates and water hardness :-( unfortunately I had already put the plants n water in and got things going by adding the pure aquarium bacteria...) Also I'm starting to regret not having put hardy fish in as I'm finding it difficult to find a shop/store who stock pure ammonia :-( and also I'm getting a few snails showing up now... think I've counted 10 of the wee blighters... unfortunately my tank is to small for a loach so I'm gonna set up a snail trap soon I think...
Anywho, if you have any advise on how to get the cycle started with out ammonia I'm all ears... I've also begun to see loads of snail "brown stuff" on some of the leaves :(

You've got two options. Fishless or fish in.
FISHLESS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

FISH IN
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html

BEGINNERS GUIDE
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html
If you can't get pure ammonia and want to go with fishless I would suggest a raw prawn in pantyhose not fish food. Fish food makes a huge mess and can cause algae issues.

Nightstalker3188 said:
I've read about that...
However when I spoke to my LFS they advised I only need this Pure Aquarium stuff, and I've also read you can put fish flakes in to get amonia going... TBH I still need to get a propper water test kit... I go these strips which (as I've now found out) are not all to reliable and also they dont measure amonia levels, just PH nitrites/ates and water hardness :-( unfortunately I had already put the plants n water in and got things going by adding the pure aquarium bacteria...) Also I'm starting to regret not having put hardy fish in as I'm finding it difficult to find a shop/store who stock pure ammonia :-( and also I'm getting a few snails showing up now... think I've counted 10 of the wee blighters... unfortunately my tank is to small for a loach so I'm gonna set up a snail trap soon I think...
Anywho, if you have any advise on how to get the cycle started with out ammonia I'm all ears... I've also begun to see loads of snail "brown stuff" on some of the leaves :(

I'm not sure if you have a publix near you but I got my ammonia at publix. It's just called clear ammonia and it works perfect!

I called Homebase and apparently they have some... so I'm off to see them after work today and will collect an ammonia test kit as I dont have that.
I'm gonna also get a bit more substrate I think, as my air hose does not want to stay under the substrate I have and also I think when it comes to "hovering" the substrate later on when i do water changes it will rip up the plants as they are not planted deep enough...

Back
Top Bottom