HOB Filter Help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmobley

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 10 gallon planted aquarium with a Top Fin 10 HOB filter. The filter has a carbon "packet" and a grey sponge for filtration. Is it necessary to be changing the carbon packet? If so how often?

I have done some research and have had trouble finding an exact answer. Some places I read said not to change the filter media until it is falling apart. Then other places I read stated that carbon filters need to be changed every 3 weeks.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Hello!

Let's clear some things up:

Filter media and carbon pads are 2 different things.

Carbon can come in a bag or inside a filter pad.

By all means, carbon is not necessary. I'm sure you have read that it is used to remove thing s like tannins and medications. But you use it to your own decision.

Caleb

Thanks for the reply

So what would be the filter media in this instance???

I agree that carbon is really not necessary for everyday.
The filter pad is where many of the beneficial bacteria who fuel your nitrogen cycle live, so you don't want to keep throwing them away every 3 weeks. That is why many people will suggest not getting rid of filter media unless it is falling apart. Many of the filter pad manufacturers tell you to change the filter pad every x amounts of days or months because they want to sell you more. Some people do that. I do not suggest it though as I do not believe it is necessary. You can clean the filter pad by swishing it around in tank water, or in new treated water.

Thank you!

So if I have this correct the filter media would be the grey sponge like material?

Secondly, I would be able to just get rid of the "bag" of carbon? This wouldn't disrupt or cause by tank to go into a minor cycle?

Assuming your filter looks like this on the inside:
Bing Images
Yes, the grey spongey part is the filter media. That floss bag behind it contains the carbon. You can just leave the carbon in. It won't hurt anything. If you want to remove it, just put a slit in that bag, dump out the carbon and return the bag portion to the filter. Bacteria will live on that too. No, dumping the carbon out of that bag would not cause a mini cycle.

Back
Top Bottom