How do I keep a tank cycled without fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loupstar

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've just joined the forum and done an intro which explains my tanks.

I've been trying to cycle my new 140L/37g tank. I was trying to do a fishless cycle but I can't get ammonia here so I tried with fish food but after 4 weeks I have had no ammonia or nitrite readings at all (thought my test kit might be a dud but the pet shop has tested twice for me and had zero's as well). So anyway I've given up decided to go with a fish cycle (given it a big clean to get rid of any food). I have moved my black neon tetra's in from my small tank and then I had to move the guppy cause I'm sure he was super lonely without his mates (he hangs with the tetra's since he lost his buddy). They have been in the new tank for 2 days and I have to test everyday cause my daughter is super worried I'm going to kill her fish. So far still all zero's.

So 2 questions:
Should I do water changes even while the ammonia is at 0?
My small tank is now empty, I don't want to get a new fish for it until my new tank is cycled, what do I do to keep the empty tank cycled (how to keep the good bacteria alive)?

I'd keep the fish in the cycled tank and grab a bag of frozen prawn from the grocer. Toss a few in a mesh bag or some other permeable wrapping and leave them to molder a bit before swapping them out. See http://www.aquariumadvice.com/the-almost-complete-guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling/. Or, keep the fish in and go with http://www.aquariumadvice.com/fishin-cycling-step-dark-side/ Either way, these methods have been used by most people here (including me) and they really work. I had my 5g done with a fishless in about a week from 8ppm to being able to process 2ppm to 0 in just over a day. I know it's smaller than yours XD But the principles are sound.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I've just joined the forum and done an intro which explains my tanks.

I've been trying to cycle my new 140L/37g tank. I was trying to do a fishless cycle but I can't get ammonia here so I tried with fish food but after 4 weeks I have had no ammonia or nitrite readings at all (thought my test kit might be a dud but the pet shop has tested twice for me and had zero's as well). So anyway I've given up decided to go with a fish cycle (given it a big clean to get rid of any food). I have moved my black neon tetra's in from my small tank and then I had to move the guppy cause I'm sure he was super lonely without his mates (he hangs with the tetra's since he lost his buddy). They have been in the new tank for 2 days and I have to test everyday cause my daughter is super worried I'm going to kill her fish. So far still all zero's.

So 2 questions:

Should I do water changes even while the ammonia is at 0?

My small tank is now empty, I don't want to get a new fish for it until my new tank is cycled, what do I do to keep the empty tank cycled (how to keep the good bacteria alive)?

What about a silent cycle with soil and plants? Research it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks guys, the silent cycle sounds interesting - I already have some plants on their way to me so I might order some more. I've even found some good articles on creating your own CO2 thingy.

I was going to move the fish back to the old tank last night and go buy some shrimp (and be more patient) but I feel mean taking all that space back away from them, and I'm worried I'll stress them to much if I keep moving them. I'm hoping now if I keep doing water changes each day and plant it up with lots of plants (the planting procedure will probably stress my fish anyway) this will go alright?

The next logical thing would be to take the filter media form my small tank into my new tank - big question though - will this transfer snails as well? I have those pesty little snails in my small tank that I really didn't want in the new one - my new plants are coming from a seller I brought from before that didn't have snails, not the pet store that gave me the snails in the first place.

Now I need to do more research to check my lighting is right and get more plants for both tanks.

Back
Top Bottom