I got a ten ga, tank and I want a betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

j_randall1702

Aquarium Advice Regular
What kind of other fish would do in a tank with a betta? I want to get 2 corys and some kind of algea eating fish. I dont wanna over stock.

sounds fine

as far as what will be a good fish to live with a beta, any fairly calm tropical fish that doesn't get to big will do. Mollys, platys, the asian vairity of algea eater, the small thin kind, would look good. as far as overstocking is conserned I would keep the 10gal at 5-7 small fish.

You definetly do not want anything that has the words algae eater in its name. Otocinclus Cats are great algae eaters and I doubt the betta will bother them...Maybe two Ottos and two Albino Cories? I say Albinos as they are the easiest to find variety that has small growth....According to Liveaquaria.com anyway.

well, i can comment on this. Bettas will chase otocinclus catfish. The bonus is that the otocinclus can easily outswim the bettas. If you want something to snack on algae, i would get otocinclus or a rubbermouth pleco or a BN pleco (as a last resort)

Thanx, if any of yall got anymore suggestions feel free. I am not getting anything till friday. Oh and how about a dwarf gourami?

I think a betta and 4 cories will be good. I haven't kept bettas with cories but I've read here that other members have kept them together. I would stay away from guppies -- the betta may attack them, and tetras -- a group of tetras may attack a betta. I wouldn't put a gourami with a betta. While I have read that other members have kept them together, their tanks were in the 55 gallon range, and not 10 gallons. In a 10 gallon, the betta and gourami will probably not get along.

I have kept a betta with a pleco (a pitbull pleco, 2 inches long) and I wouldn't recommend this, even with the small pleco that I had. I put the betta and pitbull pleco together for a few weeks, just until I could set up another tank for the betta. The pleco and betta got along, but the pleco will appreciate a cooler temperature than the betta prefers, and the pleco will require more filtration than the betta, since the pleco produces much more waste. The pleco would be fine with HOB or canister filters, but these filters will probably make too much current for a betta. Bettas do well with sponge filters. So I feel that the betta and pleco require different filtration and temperature needs, and I don't recommend them as tankmates.

The Betta plus 3 Otos and 3 Pany Corys would be great for that tank. At least 3 of each (Corys & Otos) because these are social fish.

You could divide the tank and keep two male bettas. Or better yet, divide the tank, have a stunning male in one an equally beautiful female in the other part and stock heavily on silk plants. Then you could breed them!

Back
Top Bottom