I'm new to African Dwarf Frogs, NEED ADVICE PLEASE!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peachleef

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I've been doing lots of research and it seems that African dwarf frogs make great pets. I got a fish tank about 3 weeks ago and I only had female bettas in it. Sadly, the third female I got came with a disease and it killed her in two days. One week later, my other female betta died and she showed the same symptoms as the first female that died so assume she sadly caught the same disease. Keep in mind, I returned the first female that died and they tested the water and there were no harmful chemicals or things such as ammonia in it, it was clean. Also, I cleaned the tank entirely the day she died. Now I only have one more female and an amano shrimp but it looks like this last betta has the same disease. I don't know what is going on, I'm doing everything right but I think I'm just gonna stop getting bettas or fish in general because it breaks my heart to see them suffer and die. I just haven't had (clearly) the best luck with them and I don't want to take any more chances. Anyways, back to the main topic, I've looked around a lot of it seems ADF are a bit hardier than fish and their living requirements are more flexible. I have a 6 gallon tank for them, not very high so they can reach the top to breathe, hiding spots, a filter, thermometer, gravel, and some live plants. What I still need (if I go through with getting them) is some taller plants for them to hide in and use to help them reach the top of the tank to breathe, food of course and a flat small dish of sorts for their food. What I am not too sure on is what is required for their tank in terms of water quality and cleanliness. I assume that the water still needs to be treated with conditioner, are there any other liquids or treatments the water needs? Do I still need to test water for ammonia and nitrites (I assume yes but i want to make sure since they are frogs and not fish, there might be some differences)? Basically what would you advice I do to keep my tank clean and safe for the frogs to survive and live long and healthy lives in? I don't want to hurt the little froggies! Also any other advice that I didn't mention and should know would greatly be appreciated (such as any diet advice, how often to clean the tank, etc) The more info/advice, the better! Thanks!

OH and how could I forget, I assume I need to cycle the tank for the frogs too right? I'm new to fish to I believe I might have done the cycling wrong or not done it to the extent that I could have. It's somehow a bit of a confusing topic for me. If anyone could tell me how to properly cycle a tank for these frogs I would appreciate it so much!

So sorry to hear of the difficult times, you had with the F. Bettas.

It is wonderful that you're doing a bit of research and wanting to do the best for the froggies. :)

The article in my signature - the first link is an article about getting started and best practices for knowing what to do to keep fish or ADF.

You are correct that they need a cycled tank. They are pretty hardy but they can suffer ammonia burns and their skin can peel off if it is very bad.

Same basics as keeping appropriate amount of food to feed them well but not leave left overs too long as they will pollute the tank. Especially frozen or live foods (like black worms or blood worms) will rot pretty quickly.

Maintain with pwc each week to keep water in safe levels.

This will be useful as well
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling - Aquarium Advice

Important Information for Those New to the Aquarium Hobby - Aquarium Advice

You can use the search function too, as there has been quite a bit of interest in ADF recently you can read through the past threads for possible good do's and don'ts.

When selecting ADF the males body will be more narrow and the females will usually be wider. They love to live in groups and frog pile on top of each other!

Yay! Frogs!

A filter without a strong current is a must. Just like what you would have for bettas. They are not the strongest swimmers. They do like tropical-fish temp. water. 72-78 degrees.

They love hiding spots. Under plants, under rocks, in decorations with holes--anything.

Make sure you have a lid. They can jump. They just can't really live out of the water.

If you can find it, there's a thing called a betta log. You could also get a betta hammock. The log just floats in the water and has a hole in the top, the frogs can sit in these and be lazy. The hammock is a fake leaf that sticks to the side of the tank and they can use it the same way they would a real plant. I've found the ADFs love both of them.

Feeding: ADFs are nearly blind. Feed them at the same time/spot every day. Either with an eyedropper/turkey baster or into a food dish. I only feed mine once a day. Some people say twice a day. Feed only as much as they will eat in a 5-10 minute period. Tap on the glass three times before feeding to let them know you're there. Frozen mysis shrimp, frozen daphnia, frozen bloodworms, freeze dried krill (crunched up), frog and tadpole food. Some people suggest live black worms -- I wouldn't do those if you use gravel. Gravel in general isn't the best idea with ADFs, since some will decide to eat it and choke on it. (This isn't a problem I've personally seen, but I've heard about.) They are carnivorous. Don't try and give them fruit or veggies, it'll just mess up the tank, basically. Keep the freeze dried food to a minimum, it can block them up. If you give them some, soak it first.

Shedding: They shed about once a week. You'll sometimes see it in the tank. It doesn't necessarily mean there's anything wrong with the water. Many times they'll eat their own sheds. It's full of nutritious goodies for them. Let them be. If a shed is just sitting in the tank. Take it out.

As for the rest, follow general cycling directions and do regular tank maintenance and test the water. They are great little guys and adorable, if not ridiculous at times.

Back
Top Bottom