Initial Steps... i'm confused?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kagentx

Aquarium Advice Activist
i have a 50 gallon tank with 186 wpg, the first week i put the plants i had in the previous tank. They weren't really in good shape so that's why i wanted to move them here. The first 2 days, the plants were producing oxygen, then suddenly they stopped, i put in 3 SAE and 6 otos in to eat algae but the plants still are not bubbling oxygen. I have 2 Hagen Units and i'm trying to make a DIY CO2 but doesn't look too good. I add about 3 ML of tropica master growth in the a day now but still nothing happens. ALso i put in some Excel to boost CO2. But still the plants doesn't look like they are bubbling oxygen. The star grass looks pretty good, but the ruffle amazon sword has new leafs that have red veins and look transparent. I don't know what to do in order to make them grow... i'm confused, i don't have any fish buddies around me also, please help

You have 186 Watts per gallon?

That stands you say that you have 9300watts total on your tank..

I think you did a Typo, I hope you did a typo...

If you didn't do a typo, living on the sun must be fun. Can you imagine the heat from 21 450W MH bulbs.

Heya kagentx, and welcome to Aquariumadvice!!

Sounds like you may be a mite confused about plants and O2 production... And I'm truly sorry if I misunderstand you... Do you mean that the plants aren't visibly producing oxygen (i.e. pearling--the production of small bubbles of oxygen on the end of the stems/leaves) or do you mean that you are somehow able to tell the oxygen level in your tank?? I don't know if you mean "bubbling oxygen" literally.

If the latter, your plants may simply be starved of light. 1.86 wpg (I assume that's what you meant--ribbing aside :D ) is not a huge amt for any tank. Almost all plants really need more than 2 wpg, and most sold in stores need more than 3 or 4 wpg.

With that little light, you don't truly need a CO2 unit, as this is only necessary when plants are able to metabolize more CO2:

Energy (light) + CO2 + H2O-->O2 + H2O + C6H12O6 .......... (general formula)

In a tank with 1.86 wpg, Energy may well be the limiting reagant (substance to be used), in which case additional CO2 is not necessary. Of course, when energy levels are boosted (i.e. more light) CO2 levels must rise, so that CO2 doesn't become the limiting reagant.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I misunderstood the problem...

sorrie guys what i meant was 186 watts in the tank which is around 3.6 wpg... o yea madasa, about the bubbling... the plants usually producing those bubbles which convinces me that they are growing and thriving... but they just stopped

i'm starting to think that it's because i don't have much ammonia and phosphate for the plants that usually come from the fish

Bearfan said:
If you didn't do a typo, living on the sun must be fun. Can you imagine the heat from 21 450W MH bulbs.

Get a sun tan without leaving the comfort of your living room! :)

Are you testing for nitrates and phosphates? If so what are the levels. Tell us more about your fertilization schedule. How much, how often and what. The Master Grow you are adding is not sufficient for a high light tank. Also DIY CO2 on a tank this size with that much light is almost impossible to achieve and keep going. Please give us a full run down on your water stats, pH, kH, gH, nitrate and phosphate levels.

i don't have any nitrate or phosphate testers, i'm planning to order the RED SEA ones on my next order. my plants are doing fine so far, i'm goin to post some pictures up soon. This has only been the first week, how long until i should put fish in there? i already have 3 SAE 6 Otos and 6 corys in there.

I currently have 12 ppm of CO2 in my tank from 2 Hagen Units. I put them near an intake tube so that after tha ladder the bubbles climb, they'll be dissolved into the water more thoroughly into my Cascade 700 Canister. Does anyone else use this kind of filter?

Back
Top Bottom