Intro and what I think I know so far

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jayshine1172

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Everyone, we have recently decided that a freshwater fish tank is for us. That said, while we all love fish, none of us have ever kept an aquarium and I'm not foolish enough to waste extra money if I don't have to figuring the learning curve. I am fortunate enough to have a couple of friends who avidly keep several aquariums each but ALL of their tanks are saltwater and I am only wanting to do a freshwater (for now at least.)

I am pretty certain about the tank size I want (29 gal.) but would love suggestions on tank models and stands.

I have the tank location picked out (no direct sunlight, vibration, etc...)

I am pretty certain that I want a black substrate (wide open to suggestions)

I really like the idea of live plants but would like some input on if you guys think I am biting off too much for a beginner.

I have been researching filtration, lighting, heaters, etc...for the size tank I want for about a week but would like to hear some reviews and recommendations on makes and models.

As far as intended fish, I know I would like to have some sort of Brushy Nose Pleco and some version of a freshwater Angel (really dig the Blushing Angels and the Marble Veil Angels). I would also like to add smaller schoolers such as Green Tiger Barbs and/or Boesemani Rainbows. From what I understand, after the Nitro cycle is complete I should start with my Pleco and schoolers before adding the more aggressive Angel.

Again, completely novice to the hobby but I think I will enjoy it and would really like to get off on the right foot from the start.

First, I'd get the tank and fish going, then work on live plants. I'd go with some planting substrate instead of plain gravel - helped me a lot. Then add plants little by little.
Fish - barbs can be fin nippers although a group of 5 or 6 tends to mellow them out. Angelfish get big but if you are going to get one, get two or more. Fish are happier in groups. Boesmani Rainbows are nice but get big - 4-5". One adult pair is plenty for a 29 gallon tank. I'd stick with smaller schooling fish like cherry barbs or tetras at first and maybe some plecos or cory catfish.

First, I'd get the tank and fish going, then work on live plants. I'd go with some planting substrate instead of plain gravel - helped me a lot. Then add plants little by little.
Fish - barbs can be fin nippers although a group of 5 or 6 tends to mellow them out. Angelfish get big but if you are going to get one, get two or more. Fish are happier in groups. Boesmani Rainbows are nice but get big - 4-5". One adult pair is plenty for a 29 gallon tank. I'd stick with smaller schooling fish like cherry barbs or tetras at first and maybe some plecos or cory catfish.

P.S. Your choice of course, but I much prefer acrylic tanks to glass ones. Acrylic tanks are more expensive, but, I think, more attractive, don't leak or crack, and are much lighter weight.

Hello and first off congrats on deciding to get into freshwater tanks! They're so fun and rewarding to have around. A 29 gallon is a decent size to start out with and could comfortably fit a pair of angels as well as some smaller schooling fish. Definitely go with two angels as they like pairing off. For other fish I agree with what was said above as barbs do tend to be very nippy little fish! Smaller peaceful schooling fish would be better tankmates as they don't add to the bioload too much and are less aggressive than others. Larger species of tetra are best for this purpose (avoid neons as there have been cases, which happened to me once as well, where angels eat the neons). A planted tank is a wonderful thing to have and will make maintenance much easier! Go to a reputable source to get some healthy and mature plants and get a good bulb to provide proper levels of light for your particular plant species. A bristlenose pleco would make a lovely addition to your tank to help combat algae and also be a good tankmate, but plecos are dirty so it will take a little extra maintenance to keep your water quality up! When it comes to filtration, I recommend choosing a model that is made for a tank which is 10-20 gallons larger than the one you have. For example, if you had a 50 gallon, you'd want a 60 or 70 gallon filter. This helps keep water cleaner and maintains the colony of beneficial bacteria better. Though you sound to have done very thorough research on having an aquarium (good job on that by the way!) make sure you get a water test kit! This is such an important item to have if you have a fish tank and is essential in avoiding problems. The API master test kit is an excellent one! All in all welcome to the hobby, I'm sure you'll find it to be quite an excellent one and soon will be addicted! If you have any more questions, please ask!

P.S. Your choice of course, but I much prefer acrylic tanks to glass ones. Acrylic tanks are more expensive, but, I think, more attractive, don't leak or crack, and are much lighter weight.

Thank you for the response, I am out of my element but a quick study. I wasn't sure what order to go in on the plants vs nitro cycle. I would like to have live plants, do I need to go to a 40 gal vs a 29 for optimal tank dimensions for the plants? I would rather not work backwards and wish I had got the 40 gal if the 29 isn't ideal. I definitely want an acrylic. As far as the Barbs, I keep reading conflicting reports about them and Angels, I really like both species, but don't want to butcher my center piece Angel(s) for the sake of having Barbs. I will look in to the Cherry Barbs and Corey Cats.

Hello and first off congrats on deciding to get into freshwater tanks! They're so fun and rewarding to have around. A 29 gallon is a decent size to start out with and could comfortably fit a pair of angels as well as some smaller schooling fish. Definitely go with two angels as they like pairing off. For other fish I agree with what was said above as barbs do tend to be very nippy little fish! Smaller peaceful schooling fish would be better tankmates as they don't add to the bioload too much and are less aggressive than others. Larger species of tetra are best for this purpose (avoid neons as there have been cases, which happened to me once as well, where angels eat the neons). A planted tank is a wonderful thing to have and will make maintenance much easier! Go to a reputable source to get some healthy and mature plants and get a good bulb to provide proper levels of light for your particular plant species. A bristlenose pleco would make a lovely addition to your tank to help combat algae and also be a good tankmate, but plecos are dirty so it will take a little extra maintenance to keep your water quality up! When it comes to filtration, I recommend choosing a model that is made for a tank which is 10-20 gallons larger than the one you have. For example, if you had a 50 gallon, you'd want a 60 or 70 gallon filter. This helps keep water cleaner and maintains the colony of beneficial bacteria better. Though you sound to have done very thorough research on having an aquarium (good job on that by the way!) make sure you get a water test kit! This is such an important item to have if you have a fish tank and is essential in avoiding problems. The API master test kit is an excellent one! All in all welcome to the hobby, I'm sure you'll find it to be quite an excellent one and soon will be addicted! If you have any more questions, please ask!

Drago....thank you for the input...this is what I was hoping for. I don't know exactly what I am getting in to yet, just that we are dead set on getting in to it. We are responsible animal lovers so we are trying to do our research forehand. Thanks for the heads up on the API master test kit, we would have had to get around to that anyway so thanks for the heads up. I'm also familiar with, and a fan of overbuilding or preparing wherever possible, I will definitely be going larger with my filter and adjustable heater as well as further researching my lighting options since I would really like live plants. Any suggestions on colorful tank mates more suited to having a pair of Angels than Barbs?

Drago....thank you for the input...this is what I was hoping for. I don't know exactly what I am getting in to yet, just that we are dead set on getting in to it. We are responsible animal lovers so we are trying to do our research forehand. Thanks for the heads up on the API master test kit, we would have had to get around to that anyway so thanks for the heads up. I'm also familiar with, and a fan of overbuilding or preparing wherever possible, I will definitely be going larger with my filter and adjustable heater as well as further researching my lighting options since I would really like live plants. Any suggestions on colorful tank mates more suited to having a pair of Angels than Barbs?

If you're looking for more colorful tankmates then I'd suggest fish like dwarf gouramis, lemon tetras, black skirt tetras, diamond tetras, corydora catfish, and essentially any medium sized non-nippy tetra!

Welcome! It's great to have you here. I'm glad so many wonderful people have helped you already :)

I am pretty certain about the tank size I want (29 gal.) but would love suggestions on tank models and stands.
I started with a 55 and though i got smaller tanks after....i'm really glad i got such a large tank....in fact looking back I probably would have went larger. when starting out its better to get as large of a tank that is realistic for you. larger tanks mean more stable water conditions, which means its more forgiving if you make a mistake.

I am pretty certain that I want a black substrate (wide open to suggestions)
My 55 gallon is an all black national geographic substrate and I LOVE IT!!!. it makes my plants, fish, and decor pop.

I really like the idea of live plants but would like some input on if you guys think I am biting off too much for a beginner.
I'd say it's never too soon to start a planted tank. I'm glad i did. there is no comparison between fake and live. live wins hands down. just make sure your plants are compatible with your light. Anubias, anarchis, java moss, moss balls (petco has 3 for 10$ while petsmart has one ball for 7-8 dollars) java fern, water wisteria, bacopa, and many crypts are pretty good for beginners (i use them all with stock lighting i got on my tanks). i don't use special substrate just black sand but i do dose API leaf zone every water change. people say dwarf hair grass is a good beginner plant but i never had any luck with it or any other small grass like plant.

I do not recommend Top Fin brand filters due to them randomly shutting off from personal experience....i can't speak to them being better or worse than others though do to only owning them.

stability is a great product to help with cycling and bacteria boosting.
tiger barbs can be nippy.

tips: do your research on each fish, don't forget water conditoner, and whenever you get new fish don't forget to get fish food and then have to turn around and go back haha. also i would get some meds to have on hand in case of an emergency

Back
Top Bottom