Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-29-2017, 07:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

just getting back into aquariums, ? about pH

my water quality is:
8.6 - 8.8 pH
soft water 20 mg/l calcium carbonate
sodium is about 220 mg/l

I am going with a 10g for a betta only until I get back in the swing of things. If I remember, it is better to leave the pH as is instead of trying to fiddle with it, it will also be planted tank. yes?

thanks,

40g breeder with 4 Tequila Sunrise Guppy, 4 cory cats, 13 neon tetra's, 1 dwarf Gourami, planted with anubius and java fern, 36" 4-bulb Current Nova Extreme. 10g with a beautiful blue Crowntail Betta with blasting sand substrate. Also two cats who keep an eye on the tanks while licking their lips.
bobc4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:56 AM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobc4d View Post
my water quality is:
8.6 - 8.8 pH
soft water 20 mg/l calcium carbonate
sodium is about 220 mg/l

I am going with a 10g for a betta only until I get back in the swing of things. If I remember, it is better to leave the pH as is instead of trying to fiddle with it, it will also be planted tank. yes?

thanks,
I think it is easier to maintain a ph as every water change can undo all the work trying to adjust ph to a set level. My tap is around 8 and tank sits around 7.3 with kh of ~6.

Can be done though with buffers and test kits.

That water seems very soft for the ph I must say. I would add some crushed coral (carbonates) to maintain kh and prevent ph crashes. I'd aim for kh above 40 to 60ppm. This will help plants and bacterial population while the betta will have no issues.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:23 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
I think it is easier to maintain a ph as every water change can undo all the work trying to adjust ph to a set level. My tap is around 8 and tank sits around 7.3 with kh of ~6.

Can be done though with buffers and test kits.

That water seems very soft for the ph I must say. I would add some crushed coral (carbonates) to maintain kh and prevent ph crashes. I'd aim for kh above 40 to 60ppm. This will help plants and bacterial population while the betta will have no issues.
thank you for the advice. the aquifer for our drinking water is at 3,000 feet, naturally purified by the recharge zone, the only thing added is chlorine. it really is that soft, it takes very little soap/shampoo to suds up. when I travel for work I forget that and use the same amount of soap/shampoo as at home and don't get any suds. LOL
40g breeder with 4 Tequila Sunrise Guppy, 4 cory cats, 13 neon tetra's, 1 dwarf Gourami, planted with anubius and java fern, 36" 4-bulb Current Nova Extreme. 10g with a beautiful blue Crowntail Betta with blasting sand substrate. Also two cats who keep an eye on the tanks while licking their lips.
bobc4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 10:00 AM   #4
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Lol - funny how we get used to our water.

The sodium I wasn't sure on, I'd have to look up our water report to compare. Sounds pretty good drinking water though?

Tags
aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com