just getting back into aquariums, ? about pH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobc4d

Aquarium Advice Freak
my water quality is:
8.6 - 8.8 pH
soft water 20 mg/l calcium carbonate
sodium is about 220 mg/l

I am going with a 10g for a betta only until I get back in the swing of things. If I remember, it is better to leave the pH as is instead of trying to fiddle with it, it will also be planted tank. yes?

thanks,

my water quality is:
8.6 - 8.8 pH
soft water 20 mg/l calcium carbonate
sodium is about 220 mg/l

I am going with a 10g for a betta only until I get back in the swing of things. If I remember, it is better to leave the pH as is instead of trying to fiddle with it, it will also be planted tank. yes?

thanks,

I think it is easier to maintain a ph as every water change can undo all the work trying to adjust ph to a set level. My tap is around 8 and tank sits around 7.3 with kh of ~6.

Can be done though with buffers and test kits.

That water seems very soft for the ph I must say. I would add some crushed coral (carbonates) to maintain kh and prevent ph crashes. I'd aim for kh above 40 to 60ppm. This will help plants and bacterial population while the betta will have no issues.

I think it is easier to maintain a ph as every water change can undo all the work trying to adjust ph to a set level. My tap is around 8 and tank sits around 7.3 with kh of ~6.

Can be done though with buffers and test kits.

That water seems very soft for the ph I must say. I would add some crushed coral (carbonates) to maintain kh and prevent ph crashes. I'd aim for kh above 40 to 60ppm. This will help plants and bacterial population while the betta will have no issues.

thank you for the advice. the aquifer for our drinking water is at 3,000 feet, naturally purified by the recharge zone, the only thing added is chlorine. it really is that soft, it takes very little soap/shampoo to suds up. when I travel for work I forget that and use the same amount of soap/shampoo as at home and don't get any suds. LOL

Lol - funny how we get used to our water.

The sodium I wasn't sure on, I'd have to look up our water report to compare. Sounds pretty good drinking water though?

Back
Top Bottom