Just starting a 20 gallon freshwater community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

exactionfigure

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,
I just started a 20 gallon community tank and I have a few questions

I have a big piece of driftwood that takes up the middle of the tank(see other post) and I am going to be using fake plants at least for now, but I am going to use alot of them so the fish will have plenty of place to hide. I am also going to add some rocks at some point.

I have a marineland penguin 200 for 50gallon tanks and I am currently cycling the tank.

I added some cycle and my biowheel is in and everything, I am going to wait two weeks and see where the levels are.

Is there anything else I should do to cycle the tank?

The tank is a 20 high so how many fish can I have? I have heard several different things but I don't know what is right
Some fish I can think if that I want are: some neon tetras, a few upside down cat fish a red tail shark and I don't know what else.

What do you think?

When can I add my first fish and how long should I give it in between adding more?

thanks
-Matt

This is the recomended way to cycle your tank: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15

Ignore the saltwater part and you can use pure ammonia from true value and other places. That way no fish get hurt. You can add many different kinds of fish to a 20 gallon. Best way is go to your LFS see what they have and what you like. Post here and we help you with what to stock.

Back
Top Bottom