Lighting question for growing plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaydee1106

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So after researching online, I see that most folks recommend a minimum of 2 wpg for lighting in order to grow aquatic plants. I have a 20L gallon tank which is only 12" high and my light has a 24" 20 watt T8 bulb. Due to the low wattage, is it safe to say that I would be able to grow plants because my tank floor is only 12" from the light? If so what type of plants?

Your light could definitely sustain low light plants like java fern, java moss and anubias.

I have the same set up (20G long, 24" T8 light). There is actually enough light to grow medium light plants like swords(but they get big), water wisteria, vallisneria, ludwigia, etc. In fact, you should have some of the faster growing plants to balance out the low light plants and take up extra nutrients, or you will start to grow algae. I currently have vallisneria, Windelov fern (LOVE this plant), crypt wendtii, mystery crypt, spiralis crypt, ozelot sword (new), and water wisteria (new, recommend).
I'm currently dosing Flourish Excel once a week after water change, and no CO2.
Don't try for anything with high light needs but there are lots of medium light need plants available.

Wow that's awesome! Thanks for replying, I will start looking at some of yhe plants you have listed. Do you think dwarf hairgrass will grow properly in my tank? I wanted some type of floor carpet.

I haven't tried that because I'm looking for easier plants, and from what I heard that one can be picky. Maybe look at micro sword, parva crypt, or dwarf sagittaria.

Back
Top Bottom