Lots of questions, Proper ph 7.0, bio spira and more.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ski

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am starting my first tank a 55 gal freshwater. I've had it set up for a week with no fish and everything running. I tested the water and the ph was 8.0. I am planning a community tank so I would like 7.0. Can you tell me how long does proper ph 7.0 (meaning the product by Aquarium Pharmaceutical) take to work? Does it interfere with bio-spira? After adding fish how long do I wait to feed them? I am going to use bio-spira so how long do I wait to do a water change? How often do you top off your aquarium water because of evaporation? I have my heater running and it comes on but it seems the water temp moves with my apartment temp. How big of a temperature movement will hurt the fish? What kind of pleco (picture N) is the one in the 2004 photo contest? L#?
Thanks for your help in advance.

Speaking as a person with moderately high ph tap water (7.8 ) It is very difficult to lower your ph to7.0 and keep it steady. I am sure you will find a number of people will tell you that a steady ph is more important than "perfect'" ph. Also what is the wattage of your thermometer? A steady temp in your tank is also important. Have you tested for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates? Here is a link about cycling www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=21
I have never used bio spira so I am not sure how that works. Good luck with your tank!

I tested the water and the ph was 8.0. I am planning a community tank so I would like 7.0.
A steady pH is better than a perfect pH. If you want to lower the pH naturally, add wood to the aquarium and/or peat to the filter. In general, the pH of the tank will go down slightly from the pH of the tap water as the tank ages. You do not need a pH of 7 to have a great community tank. The pH in my community tank is 7.6. I have wood in the tank for decor and to help lower the pH from the higher tap water.
Can you tell me how long does proper ph 7.0 (meaning the product by Aquarium Pharmaceutical) take to work?
It may never work. Depending on the buffering capacity of your tank, you may have pH of 7 in the morning and by afternoon the pH is back to 8. Shifts in pH will negatively affect the fish.
After adding fish how long do I wait to feed them?
I often wait a day. That allows the fish to adjust. When fish are stressed, they do not eat. You only need to feed fish a max of once a day, once every other day is fine also.
I am going to use bio-spira so how long do I wait to do a water change?
Once a week do about 25% PWC for a healthy aquarium.
How often do you top off your aquarium water because of evaporation?
With weekly water changes, you should not have that problem.
I have my heater running and it comes on but it seems the water temp moves with my apartment temp.
You need a bigger or better heater. In my 50 gal tank, there is a 150W Ebo Jager heater that is wonderful. Believe me, the room is chillier than the aquarium!
How big of a temperature movement will hurt the fish?
You don't want temp fluctuations. One or two degrees is okay, but I think you need a better heater.
What kind of pleco (picture N) is the one in the 2004 photo contest? L#?
I have no idea. I tried looking for the member's name, but could not find it. PM fishfreek and ask who won Dec's freshwater photocontest and then PM that member.

Just to throw in my $.02 - my water tests at 8.0 pH and my fish seem to be just ducky. I also got my fish from a place less than a mile form my house, so they may have been used to that pH since we likely use the same water source.

And I agree that it sounds like you need a more powerful heater. I went with one step above what was recommended for my tank size and it's incredibly constant. I check the thermometer to make sure everythings ok, and the temp never changes in the slightest. HTH and good luck!!!

I concur. Get a bigger heater and don't try to adjust your ph with chemicals. If you really think you need it lower, go with the peat and driftwood.

Thanks for all your help this forum is great. About the water changes, I was wondering if I would be removing the beneficial aspects of the bio spira if I change the water to soon?

As far as I know, if you're only doing like 20% water changes and not disturbing the gravel, you'll be fine. The Bio-Spira settles in the gravel and as the water gets filtered through, the good stuff gets snagged there too.

You might want to PM TankGirl - she's one of the experts here and has successfully used Bio-Spira many times. :D

Back
Top Bottom