more cycling questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iceywater101

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 20 gal tank with an over the top power filter water temp is 78 and ph is 6.8 I have 5 zebra danios and have been trying to cycle my tank for over a month and my ammonia test kit has been reading 4 mg/la and I cant get it to go down if anyone has any idea why please help if more info is needed please ask

I have been doing 25% water changes every week and the number has stayed the same I asked the lfs guy and he suggested not doing a water change until the cycle has finished

What brand of dechlorinator are you using? Also, are there any nitrites present?

I am using aquasafe by tetra aqua when I do water changes I use a 5 gallon bucket and add the declorinator in the bucket before I add the water back to the tank I also dont have a nitrite test kit I was told its not nessacay

The aquasafe can give false ammonia readings. You may want to change to Prime. I would get a nitrite and nitrate kit if I were you. Very handy things to have.

thanks I ll take that advice hopefully that is the problem because my fish do look healhty no typical signs of possioning I just dont want to add more fish until it finishes cycling

As well as what Rich has suggested you might want to do a couple of more water changes per week, don't gravel vac though, just wave the gravel vac over your substrate to remove excess food etc.

ok so here are the results nh3/nh4 is 4.0 ppm no2 in 5.0 ppm and my no3 is 160 ppm I am going to do a water change right now then come back and check suggestions

Change your water 35-50% everyday for the next few days at least. Keep an eye on those levels, they need to come down. Did you get a new dechlor?

yes I took your suggestion and got prime the guy at the fish store confirmed what you had told me yesterday that nh3 fuses to it which would give an untrue reading I just completed a 30% pwc and I am going to take the readings again in a few mins and repost once again thanks for the help rich

ok just checked the levels again ph7 nh3/nh4 2 ppm no3 10 ppm no2 .25 ppm it really seems that prime has really helped in addition to daily water changes I am also thinking about only feeding my fish once a day instead of twice as per norm if anyone has any suggestions on this please let me know

Thats a lot better set of readings. Do another change tomorrow and the day after. Feed your fish less than they will eat in a minute. You can divide it up or do it all at once.

alright test results for this morning ph 6.8 nh3/nh4 1.5 ppm no2 .5 ppm no3 5 ppm would anyone recommend doing a pwc now or wait until tonight and test again

I did a pwc and here are the readings ph7 nh3/nh4 1 ppm no2 .25 ppm no3 10 ppm it seems the cycle process is now taking off hopefully by next weekend I ll be able to post my fish list that I have been thinki ng about for awhile but for now I just want to stick with getting the cycle completed

Back
Top Bottom