Moving Entire Contents of a cycled tank to a brand new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saucy840

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone since i am going to upgrade from a 29 to a 75 adding the fish as well , i was wondering .... I know about and how to cycle and i have done it before but my question is if i add all 3 filters (Tetra whisper 60 , Whisper 40 , Topfin 10) , The fake plants and decorations (planning to add real plants.) , Sand and water to the new tank all within a reasonable time will it effect the cycle. Will it not need to cycle , will it be alot quicker or is it a bad idea. I want to be able to move all fish in my current tank to the new one after i move all the contents of the tank but i want to make sure its alright firsts... Whats your take?

YOu should have no issues... all the beneficial bacteria is in the substrate, filter media and decor... the water has nearly 0 bacteria in it...

you can move all your stuff and fill 100% new water and be just fine... Ive done it.

Just be sure to keep everything wet with tank water during the move.... and you should be good to go!

dont let the filter media dry out, also don't let the filters just sit in old (uncirculated water) for a long period, once the oxygen in the water is used up your bacteria will begin to die.

Also you might find that the smaller filters wont fit over the top trim on the 75. I have a 29 and 75 and wanted to use an aqua clear 50 for just bio media but the trim is too wide so it went on the 29.

lol Its so funny you mention that because i actually just finished cleaning the tank with it setup in my room i didn't swap yet but i notice since its a old tank the rim is huge and the top 10 don't really fit i could make it fit maybe. So im wondering if the whisper 40 and 60 will fit on there i think they will but i guess ill find out soon enough. Also since its older there is no brace in the center but the glass is 1/2 inch thick and the rims are made from wood maybe fake but looks and seems really strong and the sealing is thick n looks very well done.

I don't have a picture now because im having cell phone trouble but my room-mate is going to take one from his tablet and ill upload it.

Back
Top Bottom