My aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JimmyA

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, both my swordtails died. I don't know why. My other fish are fine. I added 2 black mollies to replace them.

sorry for your lost. First things first. Is your tank cycled.? What are you water parameters.

My tank is cycled. My parameters are ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0. I think my water is soft though, can't get heated hard water.

JimmyA said:
ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0.

How long has the tank been set up? If it was cycled you should have some nitrates. So my guess is it's going through a mini cycle if it's been set up for awhile or it's just not quite cycled yet.

His tank is definitely cycled (he had a fishless cycling thread). Have you been doing really big water changes or do you have a ton of plants Jimmy? It is curious to have 0 no3, but I know personally it's cycled.

What is the temp at? As long as the heater is sufficient, there shouldn't be any concern whether the water is hard, soft or in between.

How did you acclimate them? Did you try the drip method we mentioned?

I assume your remembered to dechlorinate the water during pwc's?

The other thing to remember is that initially stocking your tank is always the riskiest. You're going to be adding lots of fish at first (if it's fishless cycled), and you're bound to have a few bad apples.

Watch them really closely for any signs of illness like white specks, torn fins, rapid breathing, gasping at the surface, etc...

Back
Top Bottom