My empty tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SadFish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I had an Oscar for nine months until this morning. Now I have a 29gal tank with everything but a fish. I don't know what I did or did not do to cause his death but I'm sad and would still like to try. My question is how do I restart? Do I empty everything out, sterilize by boiling and then start the empty cycle or if the water tests are good add a new fish?

I would think if you don't know what happened to your Cichlid, you would probably want to sterilise that tank, especially if your water parameters seem good. If your water params are good, then something else must have happened.
I guess if something on your tests is out of whack, then that's probably your answer, but otherwise I personally would be starting a again with a clean tank, probably with a bleach solution.
I'm sure others more experienced than me will give you more specific pointers though.

1. Keep the tank running. You'll preserve your beneficial bacteria population.
2. Test your water parameters. If they're out of whack, do a 50% partial water change (PWC). If you kept an oscar in a 29g, I'm expecting very high nitrates at the least.
3. When the water tests out ok, you can add new fish. Definitely don't put another oscar in that tank. An oscar needs at least 55g by itself to live comfortably. If you like cichlids, look at getting rams. Rams do need good water quality, so be prepared to keep up with your tank maintenance.

Thanks for the advice, though both seem somewhat different.

I'm a newbie and learning the maintenance drill I think is happening the hard way. I think I need a check list but I know now that I wasn't doing everything I needed to do.

Not familiar with Rams and have always wanted an Oscar. But there is no way I'm ready to tackle 55g yet.

I think they meant, if it died of some disease like ich, you want to sterilize the tank (the cysts are very resilient) but if it was a problem like an ammonia spike or nitrite/nitrate spike, that can't be spread, then you're fine adding fish. Knowing is the first step :)

I can give you some perspective here....you say your not ready to tackle a 55 yet? Trying to keep smaller tanks running in the correct params can a lot of times be harder than a larger tank, there is less water which means less room for error and a lot more maint. Just a thought.

I'm very sorry for your loss, but as someone suggested having an oscar in a 29 prob threw your params outta whack without you knowing it. I would certainly keep the tank running and do one of two things....
Just start over (assuming your params are good) sooner than later because your good bacteria will die if there is nothing for it to feed on. Do some research on fish profiles and go for it!
Second, upgrade to the 55 because let's face your gonna go bigger sooner or later, why not now when you don't have to worry about moving fish. Use the same filter media, substrate decor and get it jumpstarted so you'll only see a mini cycle (we can cover specifics if you actually do it) money an issue? Craigslist has some setups for as much as you might spend on coffee in a month..just fyi! Have fun and post pics of whatever you do or buy

I guess the oscar dying might have been a blessing in disguise. Some people are lucky to find the forum before their tanks go haywire, (not me). My first tank (that I took care of) was an uncycled 5 gallon tank with a few gouramis that I had sitting around in my basement from earlier in my childhood (where the goldfish were in the 5...) My gouramis starting doing somersalts and gasping, and thats how i found this forum :)

Check out rams. They're cichlids like oscars, but they're small. They're supposed to have a lot of personality too.

Is there any way to tell if I have some sort of parasite or other icky thing that would do in a new fish?

I really, really want an Oscar but will look for a ram.

Thanks for all the info. Wish I'd found this sooner. Fin-again might have lived. He was a good fish.

Well I hope you don't have a parasite...hahahah jk (I crack myself up :)

Not really any way to tell right away but new fish should be put in qt tank first so you don't bring any bad stuff into ur main tank.

I have to second the motion for rams, they're super awesome

QT tank? I don't have one. All I have is one big empty tank. What is a qt tank suppose to be like?

Around here, rams have a high mortality rate at the stores, so I'm assuming in this area (as in aquariums at home) as well. Just something to keep in mind.

Qt tank is basically a 10 gal tank with a bare bottom that is filled with water has a heater and an already seeded filter. I usually qt my new fish for a good week prior to putting them in. There is prob more variations to qt's but that's mine.

Back
Top Bottom