My Fishless Cycle...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmartin71

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok started putting tank together and I will be adding water and plants this week. Is there anyone in the Pittsburgh, PA area that can help with some Media and possibly point me in the direction of the best store to find pure ammo?

Also is it true that if I am doing Plants I should not use a Bubble wand because it will starve the plants of Carbon Dioxide?

Thanks!!

I am looking forward to doing this tank the right way!!

IMO yes, because it agitates the surface of the water to much!

Thanks I just wanted to make sure that the LFS was speaking the truth!!

So would it be better to add plants after the tank cycles and use a bubble wand to create more Oxygen.

Or is it better to cycle with the plants?

Thanks I just wanted to make sure that the LFS was speaking the truth!!

So would it be better to add plants after the tank cycles and use a bubble wand to create more Oxygen.

Or is it better to cycle with the plants?

IMO it doesn't matter if u put the plants in before or after.

If you are not running a CO2 system a bubble wand will actually help. Making the CO2 in the aquarium the same equilibrium as the air we breath. Which is around 7ppm CO2.

IMHO I would add the plants while cycling. IME, I think that the amounts of NH4 and NO2 during cycling made my plants grow faster and better. As long as it's not off the charts it won't be harmful to the plants.

If you are not running a CO2 system a bubble wand will actually help. Making the CO2 in the aquarium the same equilibrium as the air we breath. Which is around 7ppm CO2.

Are you saying that is you are on the line for co2 infusion, getting a bubble wand would help if you choose not to infuse co2?

If you are injecting co2 an aerator is a bad idea because it diffuses CO2 but if you are not injecting CO2 the aerator will actually help in gas exchanges including CO2 making it the same equilibrium as the air around the tank. Usually around 7ppm.

roydooms said:
If you are injecting co2 an aerator is a bad idea because it diffuses CO2 but if you are not injecting CO2 the aerator will actually help in gas exchanges including CO2 making it the same equilibrium as the air around the tank. Usually around 7ppm.

Ok so Bubble Wand and No CO2 dispenser or a CO2 dispenser and no bubble wand. Sorry just want to make sure because I am going to add one if I can I like the look of bubble wands in the background!!

jmartin71 said:
Ok so Bubble Wand and No CO2 dispenser or a CO2 dispenser and no bubble wand. Sorry just want to make sure because I am going to add one if I can I like the look of bubble wands in the background!!

Actually, both makes sense...

Inject CO2=No bubble wand. It will diffuse CO2 may be just as fast as you add them or because of the wand the CO2 will be less than 30ppm but over 7ppm which is algae heaven. It will do bad than good.

Wand=no CO2. The wand will make the CO2 level in the tank the same equilibrium as the air around the tank which around 7ppm. Which is ok. Remember what I said about CO2 level over 7ppm but less than 30ppm?^^^

When you inject CO2, surface disturbance should be minimal. The bubble wand disturbs the water surface causing gas exchange, diffusing CO2.

roydooms said:
When you inject CO2, surface disturbance should be minimal. The bubble wand disturbs the water surface causing gas exchange, diffusing CO2.

Ok, sorry this is just confusing. 1 bubble wand will be ok then with the plants.

jmartin71 said:
Ok, sorry this is just confusing. 1 bubble wand will be ok then with the plants.

IMO no. It will only be ok if u correctly inject CO2. BTW why do u want a bubble wand?

If you're injecting CO2 it is not advisable to use a bubble wand.

Fishman13 said:
IMO no. It will only be ok if u correctly inject CO2. BTW why do u want a bubble wand?

I am so confused!! I have 2 reasons for wanting one. 1) I really like the look, 2) ECO says air-stones or bubble-wands great way to speed up cycle!!

So maybe I should forget it and just get my plants in and start my cycle!!

jmartin71 said:
I am so confused!! I have 2 reasons for wanting one. 1) I really like the look, 2) ECO says air-stones or bubble-wands great way to speed up cycle!!

So maybe I should forget it and just get my plants in and start my cycle!!

I understand u like the look, I do to, but as far as speeding up the cycle, i've never heard of that. It may be true and if it is u could by the bubble wand use it until the cycle is over and then take it out or return it then put the live plants in.

Back
Top Bottom