My Fishless Cycle...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
roydooms said:
Are you going to run a CO2 system?

I was not going to I can if it's needed! That's why I am posting so much on here as I want the 90gal to go a lot smoother than the 26gal.

jmartin71 said:
I was not going to I can if it's needed! That's why I am posting so much on here as I want the 90gal to go a lot smoother than the 26gal.

So do u know what u r going to do?

jmartin71 said:

If you are not then I don't see any reason why you cannot use a bubble wand. Go for it.

roydooms said:
If you are not then I don't see any reason why you cannot use a bubble wand. Go for it.

Ok fish take in oxygen and give out CO2. With the bubble wand there will be to much agitation on the surface of the water and it will let out most of the CO2.

I admittedly know very little about planted tanks, but unless the type of plant has strict requirements I would assume running an air stone or bubble wand for the month long period of cycling wouldn't be detrimental to many plants. The increased oxygen greatly helps the colonization of the nitrifying bacteria during the cycling process. This is why the majority of the beneficial bacteria lives in the filter due to it being such an oxygen rich environment. Tons of people who have used the guide have had planted tanks, run air stones and had fast and successful fishless cycles with healthy plants at the end. I also agree with Roy that the water conditions present during the cycle are beneficial to the plants.

Fishman13 said:
Ok fish take in oxygen and give out CO2. With the bubble wand there will be to much agitation on the surface of the water and it will let out most if the CO2.

That doesn't matter if you're not running CO2. The CO2 waste is minimal. The CO2 in the air is more and with the bubble wand, the surface agitation will make the tank the same equilibrium as the air(7ppm CO2) which is better. Plus the oxygenation of water. Double win.

Fishman13 said:
So do u know what u r going to do?

That was the question, I was all set to buy the wand and the LFS said no wand since I was doing live plants. So that's why I asked the question if the LFS was right or wrong.

So I want to do a medium amount of plants and would like a lite flow of bubbles up the back wall if possible.

I never planned on injecting CO2 as I asked the LFS and they said not really necessary!

So as a newbie I am confused so I came here!!

roydooms said:
That doesn't matter if you're not running CO2. The CO2 waste is minimal. The CO2 in the air is more and with the bubble wand, the surface agitation will make the tank the same equilibrium as the air(7ppm) which is better. Plus the oxygenation of water. Double win.

What do u mean by "the CO2 in the air is more"? Also take it this way yes it will defiantly provide more Oxygen and take out CO2.

Fishman13 said:
What do u mean by "the CO2 in the air is more"? Also take it this way yes it will defiantly provide more Oxygen and take out CO2.

The air we breath is not 100% oxygen. It has some CO2 as well. When there is a water surface disturbance a gas exchange happens. Introducing oxygen as well as the minute amount of CO2 from the air in to the water.

jmartin71 said:
That was the question, I was all set to buy the wand and the LFS said no wand since I was doing live plants. So that's why I asked the question if the LFS was right or wrong.

So I want to do a medium amount of plants and would like a lite flow of bubbles up the back wall if possible.

I never planned on injecting CO2 as I asked the LFS and they said not really necessary!

So as a newbie I am confused so I came here!!

Go for the bubble wand. It will actually help your plant and won't interfere with the cycle.

Ok I may of just solved your problem. LOL! Search DIY CO2 on google. To bring the CO2 into the tank u could have the bubble wand giving out bubbles of CO2.

I just got rid of my bubble wand(2 months ago) not because it's bad for the plant but because I was going for a more natural look. I had it running for 3 months with lots of plants in the tank. Plants were doing great the whole time.

roydooms said:
Go for the bubble wand. It will actually help your plant and won't interfere with your cycle.

Agreed. Honestly, most of this co2 injection and air exchange info is over my head...but I talk with dozens of people who have cycled their tanks with plants, bubble wands and without a co2 injector and have had wonderful success with their cycle and their plants. Maybe this discussion is more pertinent if you're dealing with more expert level plants?

Fishman13 said:
Ok I may of just solved your problem. LOL! Search DIY CO2 on google. To bring the CO2 into the tank u could have the bubble wand giving out bubbles of CO2.

He doesn't want to run CO2 though if he doesn't need it. I don't think he really needs it although it will help the plants.

Edit: he just wants to know if he can run an air pump with plants.

@jmartin: the LFS person gave you a wrong information. Next time you have questions, just post it here and you'll be sure that the answer you'll get is the right one.

Fishman13 said:

Thanks my eyes are now spinning LOL

roydooms said:
He doesn't want to run CO2 though if he doesn't need it. I don't think he really needs it although it will help the plants.

The DIY CO2 isn't hard to make. IMO its a win win situation because he gets his bubble wand, doesn't have to buy an air pump, and his plants will grow faster and be healthier.

Fishman13 said:
The DIY CO2 isn't hard to make. IMO its a win win situation because he gets his bubble wand, doesn't have to buy an air pump, and his plants will grow faster and be healthier.

Like what I said, if you're injecting CO2 it is not advisable to use any aerator.

Are you saying to use the bubble wand to diffuse the CO2? That will work.

Back
Top Bottom