My tank is finally cycled! Question though...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Wolfman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok my tank finally is done cycling but i have a question, i tested for nitrates and i don't seem to have any...is that bad? lol

also now that the tank is done cycling how much of a water change should i do? and do i keep adding ammonia because i dont have the fish yet and probably wont for a couple of weeks

Ok my tank finally is done cycling but i have a question, i tested for nitrates and i don't seem to have any...is that bad? lol
Do you have a planted tank. If so the plants are likely why you have no nitrate readings

also now that the tank is done cycling how much of a water change should i do?
Change the water to get ready for fish but you won't be adding fish yet. About 50% or daily till the nitrate reading is around or below 10ppm before adding fish.

do i keep adding ammonia because i dont have the fish yet and probably wont for a couple of weeks
Yes, keep dosing ammonia. The bacteria need it to feed and keep your cycle active or they will die. Figure ammonia addition of .25 to .50 ppm or so daily to keep them happy and healthy.

What were you dosing to while cycling?

Are you sure you're cycled? I thought you needed to see ammonia drop, nitrites drop, and nitrates up to have cycled.

I'm new to this (and just saw my nitrites start coming up) - so I'm genuinely curious.

Yeah its defiantly cycled...i started out with ammonia, no nitrites, no nitrates...half way through my ammonia started dropping to 0ppm everyday and my nitrites went wayyyy up...eventually i had alot of nitrates near the end. Now, my ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates are all virtually at 0ppm, and yeah i have probably about 7 plants in the tank

Back
Top Bottom