Need Help Setting Up New 60 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ijaco

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I'm fairly new to aquariums and just bought a 60 gallon tank and need some advice on setting it up. So I've had a 5 gallon tank for about a year now, and was thinking about getting a bigger tank, maybe 30 or 40 gallons. However, Petsmart had this 60 gallon tank and stand set on sale for $150, so I decided to get that. After setting this tank up, I'll just keep my 5 gallon as a quarantine tank. This is the tank I got:
MARINELAND® 60 Gallon Heartland Aquarium Ensemble | Aquariums | PetSmart

So I was just wondering if I could get some advice on what to get to set the tank up. So for the filter/pump, I am deciding between a Cascade 1000 canister filter: Amazon.com : Cascade® 1000 Canister Filter for up to 100 Gallon Aquariums, 265gph : Pet Supplies and an Aquaclear power filter 110V: http://www.amazon.com/AquaClear-70-...422&sr=8-1&keywords=aquarium+filter+aquaclear
I would like one that wouldn't be too loud, and that wouldn't be too expensive to replace the filter media. If I get either of these, is there additional filter media I should buy, and how often should I replace it?

For the water heater I was planning on getting an Eheim Jager 150W, as I have a smaller version in my tank now and it works well. I was also planning on getting an API master test kit and a big bottle of Seachem Prime.

Please just let me know what you think of these products, and if you have any other suggestions on stuff I should get? Trying to not spend too much on everything. Thanks so much for the help! :thanks:

The cascades have a reputation for being noisy canister filters.

The Aquaclear HOB filters are great units. They come with all the media you need in the box. Or at least they did last time I bought one. That being said, I would get the AC 110 for that tank instead of the AC 70.

Ebo Jager is in my opinion the est commercial aquarium heater in the market. Prime and an API test kit are also great solutions. I typically recommend people get a KH/GH test kit in addition to the master if you are ordering stuff. You may not need one but they can be hard to find locally if you do end up needing it.

I would like to bring to your attention the fluval 306 and it has been amazing for me and my 60 gal tank! The water flow is rapid and the filter canister is dead silent!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What Dalto said.

The HOB Aquaclear/Fluval I got recently came with all the necessary media. Change it less often than the package says, as it houses your beneficial bacteria. Some of the items should last for years, you just periodically shake them in a bucket of non chlorinated water (for instance water just removed from the tank). I have a 50 on a 29 gallon and agree you should look at the 110.

I'd look at getting a python or similar water changer that hooks to your faucet.

And the GH/KH is important. If you really really don't want to buy it, at least get some of the strips that show it. I find strips to be accurate on this one. Put crudely, KH measures your protection against pH swings and GH measures mineral content. I lost several fish going with the Pet Smart workers "oh your water is extremely soft but that's fine" (I couldn't stabilize pH).

If you think you will ever want live plants, I'd look into that further at this time in case there's anything you'd do differently with the setup.

If you're a book person, the best book I've read is The Simple Guide to Freshwater Aquariums by Boruchowitz. It's a tad outdated (doesn't discuss fishless cycling), but it was the only one I read that didn't end up having most of it's advice disproven as bad, by people here. It also has great stocking schemes that can serve at the very least as starter templates.

I personally like having a power head for current, the fish are more active with it and it can provide some aeration without a bubbler. Aeration is helpful during the fishless cycle.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Back
Top Bottom