Need help with 45 gal tall!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JryanM

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm building a new tank and would like some help, I would love to have a gourami tank but I'm
Not sure how it would work, in a 45 gal tall tank how many gourami could I have? And what kind would you suggest? I like dwarf gourami but any ideas are welcome, also what would be a good schooling fish for this tank?

Dwarf Gouramis can be quite aggressive, even in a large tank. You could have 1 male and 2 female dwarf gouramis, but females are not often sold. You have a few options for schooling fish. You need fish that do not need length, so angelfish would be nice. I have a pair in my tank with honey gouramis and have no issues. You could go for a pair of angels, a pair of smaller honey gouramis, or maybe a pearl gourami. A few cories would be nice. A smaller type like pandas or juliis would be great (8 of those maybe) You would probably still have room for a small school of tetras. Glowlights, neons, cardinals, lemons. There are plenty to choose from, just make sure you do not get anything to active, that is going to need the length.

Sorry, I cannot really help with the number of gouramis, all I know is some can be fairly territorial, and I do not want to give you the wrong advice

Why not give us some suggestions of the kind of fish you are looking for, as you may like different species?

Hope this helps!

Thanks! I do really like the way a school of neon tetras looks or cardinals maybe, I have heard that gourami could be territorial which would be more of a problem with my tank being tall so if I decide to do 1 male and 2 female dwarf and maybe a pair of gold? Or would that be too much? I also like Cory's, would 8 not be too many? Seeing that the gourami stay close to the bottom as well?

Another idea maybe if I just had a single or paired pearl gourami then the cory and some schooling fish? Thanks for the advice!

No Problem :D

I find, my gouramis stay near the top, but that may just be mine :)

8 smaller corydoras, should be ok, but what are the dimensions?

sweet! Thanks:)

It is 30in long 12in wide and 23in deep

Ok, IMO, 8 small cory cats will be nice (Juliis or pandas). I would say, they will work fine, just give them a sand substrate because gravel will damage their barbels

Okay cool!! Iv heard pool filter sand works well have you use it or have another suggestion?

Yeah, I have heard that in some places. For my cories, I use play sand. Like any substrate, you just rinse it, and it is good to go! Cheap as well!!

Sounds good I will check it out, thanks again for the advice! :)

Back
Top Bottom