New 29G Tank Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnJay

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm planning on upgrading my 10 gallon to a 29 gallon tomorrow. Can I- better, should I- use the old water in the new tank to get my fish acclimated to the new tank faster? If I can, is this going to allow me to add new fish right away, or should I still wait for the tank to cycle first? Also, are ziploc bags alright to use for getting the fish used to the water temp? If not, what should I use, as I threw out the bags they came in a long time ago =P
Thanks!

JohnJay said:
I'm planning on upgrading my 10 gallon to a 29 gallon tomorrow. Can I- better, should I- use the old water in the new tank to get my fish acclimated to the new tank faster? If I can, is this going to allow me to add new fish right away, or should I still wait for the tank to cycle first? Also, are ziploc bags alright to use for getting the fish used to the water temp? If not, what should I use, as I threw out the bags they came in a long time ago =P
Thanks!

I don't see why not (I'm not an expert by any means so if I'm wrong someone please correct me!). If its not on then I would just temp match the new water as close as possible to the old water. Be sure and run your filter media from your 10 with your 29 when it's set up and running. Did you do a fishless or fish in cycle with your 10g?

I would like to add that adding the water from your 10g won't help cycle the 29 any faster ad your BB colonizes mainly in the filter and filter media and on substrate and plants and decor. Be sure and run you're media from your 10 in with the 29 filter media so your BB will build in your 29 filter media.

So, if I use the old plants (I don't have any live) and decor should that be enough to add new fish, or at least add all 6 fish I have right now at once, or is that just going to throw the tank out of whack?

I followed what the pet store had said, and cycled the 10 gallon for three days with no fish, then added three fish at a time. I don't think I even realized back then you could cycle it without fish =P

I hate to break this to ya... But I doubt your tank is even really cycled, a tank cant cycle unless there is an ammonia source being added; whether that be by a fish IN cycle and the ammonia source is fish waste and food, or a fish LESS cycle where a PURE ammonia source is added. Do you have a liquid test kit? If not, the recommeded and trusted brand here is API master freshwater liquid test kit (can be found at most fish stores for around $30 or on amazon
For around $20). The only true way to know if a tank is cycled is by testing water. Once your tank has fully cycled you should have these readings: 0ppm for ammonia and nitrite and your nitrate reading should be anywhere between 0-20ppm. Do you know your ammonas, nitrite and nitrate levels are in your tank?

I test the levels weekly, but I use strips, not a liquid. My nitrate levels are between 0-10 (it's color coded, so it's difficult to say what shade of white it is, however, 20 is a nice light pink and I've never had a reading close to that), and my nitrite and ammonia levels are 0.

JohnJay said:
I test the levels weekly, but I use strips, not a liquid. My nitrate levels are between 0-10 (it's color coded, so it's difficult to say what shade of white it is, however, 20 is a nice light pink and I've never had a reading close to that), and my nitrite and ammonia levels are 0.

Strips are very inaccurate, many members here will you tell you that. If you can I would get a liquid test kit and see what your levels are with it.

If you're just moving everything from the 10 to the new tank you can do so, provided you also use either the filter from the 10 gal (run it on the new tank along with the new filter) or take out the media from the 10 gal filter and put it in the new filter. Assuming your 10 gal is cycled (and it seems to be) there's no need to recycle the new tank as long as you move the filter media with it. The water itself doesn't have any bacteria in it. You can use some of the water from the 10 to add to the new tank and then add the rest with new water but isn't necessary. As long as your tank's parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, PH) are about the same as your tap water you can just fill up the new tank and add the fish as long as the temp is the same. Some people do re-acclimate fish to a new upgraded tank by adding water slowly from the new tank to bags or a bucket with the fish but I've never done this and never had any issues but you can certainly do it that way.

Back
Top Bottom