New 40G! Stocking Ideas!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

orangelover77

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am fixin to be gettin a 40G long. I need stocking ideas. It will have to have my 3 glo light tetra also. I was thinking a community. With an angel as a centerpiece fish?

These two came from my favorite fish book and are part of the plan for my next tank ... Maybe one will be a start to some research for you ...

(The quantities are for 29/55 gallon, so I imagine yours is in between)

3/5 swordtails (in part to provide fry as snacks to the angels, also to cycle if desired)
6/8 cories
2/4 small angelfish

Or ...

4/7 angelfish
3/5 cories
(This one needs a fishless cycle)

up your glo fish to proper school size. 6+ I love big schools personally (10+) just think they look better. What color are your glos? Centerpiece fish you could consider are gourami, angelfish, Even a trio of medium sized fish such as molly/platy/swords/guppys can look good if you have lots of smaller fish to fill the background out. I think some white angels would look nice to offset the glo colors or a gourami that compliments in color.

Some albino cory cats would also be nice for ground movement. Maybe a couple cool snails too.

So here would be my final:

Two big schools of glos (15 each!). your favorite kind. Two large pearl angels OR gourami. 6 albino corycats. Black sand. Black background. Nice plants and balanced aquascape.

You could also get more angels if they were small to assure a pair/no fighting but you would have to rehome some of them as they got bigger

And an apple snail or mystery snail. Add that too. lol

I think he has glowlight tetras as opposed to glowfish. Glowlights are nice and small and school well, so I'd definitely at least double what you have but more is even better. A dozen would probably put on a nice display. With 4 feet of length you could probably do another school and since it sounds as if you're looking for sort of an amazon themed tank, add another school of medium sized tetras, plus 6-8 cories on the bottom and a couple of bristlenose plecos

As for the angels, there is a possibility they will grow large enough to have a tetra for lunch, so you will need to get larger tetras or go with a bit less aggressive centerpiece fish. Also, you will need stay away from nippy fish as they will go after the angels.

Bolivian rams might work as a centerpiece but they could still be a bit aggressive towards smaller fish.

You could as was previously stated go with some flashy platys or mollies as a centerpiece as well. Platys are pretty active fish and a group of 3-5 would make a nice, active display.

I think he has glowlight tetras as opposed to glowfish.

Oops! You are correct! I like those much better :D They get fairly big don't they? I was given one (I know, poor thing all alone) that was two inches long and pretty wide. Much bigger than my neons. I think they would do fine with angels.

Mine are about the size of my neons. I've got a school of 5 in a small 10 gallon planted tank with a DG and four otos. The glowlights are all just about an inch long and my reference says they should get about an inch and half or so. Very cool fish though as i keep the lights relatively low and it is neat to see them swimming through the plants and around the driftwood.

they are just a tad bigger IMO

Tetra_Glowlight-21.jpg

Back
Top Bottom