New. And need some guidence

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are some good fluval internals that would do the job, theyre cheaper also. But take up room in the tank and are an eye sore.

I didnt realise you didnt have a filter for the 30g. You wouldnt be able to cycle it without. Cycling a tank doesnt actually mean the tank, it means the filter.

Omg lol I just picked it up... It's a brand new 36 gal tank it's beautiful... I attached a picture. It came with a filter will this one be good enough or do u think I should upgrade it

Attachments

• image-2765211196.jpg
    image-2765211196.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 41
  • image-3734259651.jpg
    image-3734259651.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 38
That does look nice, i understand your excitement. Theres some good bargains out their. Most people dont understand the nitrogen cycle and wonder why their fish keep dying and then eventually give up.

I like the tank mustang.

*edit* its never been used has it. I can see the cardboard protecting the sides. How much did you pay?

It was free he just wanted to get rid of it... However I no he needs some work done on his car so I told him I would defiantly help

Id run the filter you got with it and buy another filter to run with it:D theres no such thing as too much filtration as long as you restrict the flow so your fish arnt fighting the current or being blown around the tank.

Him with it I left money on his table but he threw it back in my car so I guess I'll b helping him with his car because I feel bad not giving him anything for it

It came with a heater and everything so I just beed to buy gravel for it now and fill her up.. I also got the ammonia today so I can try to start a nitrogen cycle too

Had to get a new filter anyways but this is only for now until I can get a real good one... The other one would mot work and it was making a horrible loud noise soo lol i had to get gravel, the 30$ test kit the aerator, and some other stuff I went with. 30 $ filter. it filters up to a 50 gal tank so it should be ok for now. Here's some pix. I added the start bacteria, and ammonia so hopefully it will cycle soon. Anyone no how long it could take. The tank as of now has 3ppm - 4ppm of ammonia 0 nitrites and 5.0 ppm of nitrates

Attachments

• image-3429088236.jpg
    image-3429088236.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 56
  • image-1867196805.jpg
    image-1867196805.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 43
  • image-1233145945.jpg
    image-1233145945.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 41
Nice. It could tank as long as 2 months But more likely just over a month. Turn the temp up on the heater and it will help the bb form quicker. Decided to keep the fish in the 10g for now then? thats ok and was your choice. I like the tank. I can see the api liquid testing kit on the side too. :D

Lol yea I was testing parameters on the ten gallon and I was going to leave them in there for now. but the water is still not up to temp it's at 65 I didn't notice the heater had an adjuster on the top. I thought it was like my 50 watt and just turned on and off.. Also because my catfish doesn't eat the wafers I got him I'm afraid he won't have anything to eat in the new one since its just been set up, so I'm going to keep them in there. I don't mind doing the changes I just would rather set up the big one correct and the fix the small one later... Btw what should I feed the catfish is he ok just eating what's in the tank or is there something els I can give him. And thanks I'm still waiting on the drift wood tht will be the first thing that goes in there then maybe I'll look at some real plants as well. Is it hard to keep real plants???

I would of thought your pleco would eat algae wafers, no?

Real plants range from super easy to hard and everything in between. Do you know what type of lights youve got in your tank?

Anubias, java fern, java moss are just afew that dont require much light, any fertilizers or any co2. I absolutely love java moss, i wrapped a piece of drift wood with java moss and it grew all over and around it. My pristella tetra play in it all the time. Plants are a welcome addition to your tank, they make your fish feel more at home and also will soke up some of the nitrates. In one of my tanks i have 12 small fish with 2 large anubias, lots of java fern and looooads of java moss and i barely get a nitrate reading of any kind.

Wow that's nice... And yea I put them in and he just won't eat them.... They disintegrate and cause a mess then I vac them out. But he goes all around the tank sucking on the bottom then the plants and everything els so idk what els to give him. And ok I'll go look at some plants should I wait till the cycle is complete before putting them in?

I still do my twice a week water changes even though i have next to no nitrates and thats because the plants also take neutrients and minerals from the tap water itself which keeps them healthy.

I learnt this some time ago when i started doing changes every 2 weeks, one of the main reasons for water changes are to dilute nitrate build up. So i carried on with my 2week water changes and my plants started looking less healthy than usual. As soon as i went back to twice a week, my plants puffed up again. So the minerals in tap water do depleat over time.

People do add plants to a cycling tank but i have always waited.

Ok good to know, I'll wait till after the cycle is done and go lookin for some plants. And ok I'll do twice a week water changes too. Do you have more than one tank??

Yeah i do. Heres afew pics of the 65g With the 3d background and the reverse osmosis unit. Im setting this up as we speak.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130315_020743.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130315_020743.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 58
  • ForumRunner_20130315_020810.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130315_020810.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 52
  • ForumRunner_20130315_020842.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130315_020842.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 50
  • ForumRunner_20130315_020931.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130315_020931.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 56
  • ForumRunner_20130315_021056.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130315_021056.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 57
In noway am i as experienced as some of the members of AA but im a fast learner when its something im passionate about. On this forum, you will learn fast too.

Wow that's sick your fish are ganna love that lol. Nice tank. 65 gal wow that's huge lol plenty of room for the fish to play lol. Nice filter... You have a really nice setup there... When its all set up I gotta see pictures lol :)

Wow that's sick your fish are ganna love that lol. Nice tank. 65 gal wow that's huge lol plenty of room for the fish to play lol. Nice filter... You have a really nice setup there... When its all set up I gotta see pictures lol :)

Its not a filter, wait i guess it actually is in a way. Its a reverse osmosis unit that you plum into your water supply. It takes everything out of the tap water. It will Make hard water turn soft and lower the ph of the water also. It can make water almost 100% pure. Its great for a glass of cold juice too now and again, makes it very tastey.

This picture is my filter. I bought 2 of them for this tank, Its an eheim 600 or also known as the 2217. Biiig beasty things lol.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130315_030020.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130315_030020.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 52
Its not a filter, wait i guess it actually is in a way. Its a reverse osmosis unit that you plum into your water supply. It takes everything out of the tap water. It will Make hard water turn soft and lower the ph of the water also. It can make water almost 100% pure. Its great for a glass of cold juice too now and again, makes it very tastey.

This picture is my filter. I bought 2 of them for this tank, Its an eheim 600 or also known as the 2217. Biiig beasty things lol.

Lol now I got it... That's cool... No more having to add mineral balance drops then... That's sick.. And ahhh There's the filter lol... And using two nice those are going to be external filters I'm guessing right. Everything looks nice... Ur ganna have a sick set up. Any idea what fish your ganna out in there yet?

Back
Top Bottom