New. And need some guidence

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok I will deff do one in like 20 mins I checked it and its above caution so I'll pull like 20-30 more out

Ok I just did another water change so I should b ok till tomorrow night right? And yea I rlly like them lol especially my pelco . i was so mad when the other one died... I'm never going to that petco again that laidy shouldn't work In the fish dept if they DNt no what there talking about.... Thanks so much for all the help... If I had listened to that lady and waited till next Saturday to change the water they would have all been dead probably...

I just noticed there all playing at the bottom of the tank alot more... Before they were All almost at the top of the tank... Is that a sign usually that the water is out of whack?

Ok I just did another water change so I should b ok till tomorrow night right? And yea I rlly like them lol especially my pelco . i was so mad when the other one died... I'm never going to that petco again that laidy shouldn't work In the fish dept if they DNt no what there talking about.... Thanks so much for all the help... If I had listened to that lady and waited till next Saturday to change the water they would have all been dead probably...

Its actually annoying how little some of them know. With a sustained ppm of 2 or 3 they would probably be dead by next saturday let alone a climbing ppm. You should be ok until tomorrow night. But without an ammonia test,theres noway to know how high ammo is. Id recommend 50% minimum tomorrow but if you can, really you should do 2 40% at different times. Its frustrating doing water changes all the time i know.. but giving you and anyone reading the thread the right information is more important.

Id also recommend an ammonia test when you can.

I'll go pick up a test kit on Thursday. I'm reading Right now how to cycle a tank so I can get the other one ready and cycled. Ahh I can sleep a little easier now knowing there doing better lol

And thank you so much for your help you saved my fish.. And I am very great full and appreciative

So I just read different ways to cycle. and the article said to put shrimp in pantyhose and let it sit in the water until the cycle is finished... It said this was the fastest and easiest way to cycle. Is this true has anyone here done that ????

I dont use that method but know it works. Im in the UK and used a product called 'biomature' which is basically an ammonia based solution to feed the bacteria. Some people use pure ammonia and dose the tank to 4-5ppm and wait for the ammonia to be converted to nitrite before dosing again. When you can add 4-5ppm of ammonia and its converted from ammo to nitrite to nitrAte in 24 hrs your cycle is complete.

Wow I didn't know tht... You sure know alot about this lol. maybe they have that in the U.S I'll look for it if I can find that I'd rather use that over the shrimp lol

If youre going to use ammonia make sure its pure without any additives or fragrances. The ammonia to nitrite bacteria should form quickly compared to the bacteria that converts nitrite to nitrate. So dont worry if it takes time for the second group to form. One thing youll have to watch out for is the bacteria will produce acids when converting and this can lower your ph, if your ph drops below 6 it can stall the cycle but its not a problem, just do a water change when needed to lift it.

Ok thanks so much for all this help... I think I'm ganna get some shut eye lol. it's 12:15am in New York idk what time it is for you over there but thanks for all this help I'll ttyl.
-Dan

If you have the 30 gal tank now I"d move all the fish to the 30 gal (as none of them really belong in a 10 gal tank except a few of the guppies) and continue with the fish-in cycle on the larger tank. The larger volume of water will help dissipate some of the toxins so they may not rise as quickly. Also move the filter from the 10 gal to the 30 gal and run it with the new filter. You have a good amount of fish for an uncycled tank so toxins are going to rise quickly, as you're seeing, so you need to stay on top of testing and water changes. The pleco will need a 150+ gal tank as it matures though so you may want to think of returning it before you get too attached. A smaller pleco like a bristlenose would be a better fit for a 30 gal. Also I highly recommend getting your own liquid test kit (the API Master test is what most of us use). Here are some guides that might help if you haven't seen them:
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium/

Ok I'm going to the fish store tomarrow to get gravel ad the test kit that had 800 tests in it. I also got ammonia dropps and tetra safe start bacteria I'm honoring by putting both in at the same time I can get a quick cycle so I can get my fish in to the bigger tank.. While I'm
There I'm going to try to get a diff pelco... I hope they take him back, because my friend said there iffy about taking fish back because they don't know if he has bacteria or something like that so I'll see what u can do... If worst comes to worst it's just an excuse to get a bigger tank down the road :) this 30 gal is free so i won't be buying 2 tanks. I hope it is ok to put the start up bacteria in tomarrow... And then by Saturday if the ammonia isn't high I'll add the drops of pure ammonium to spike it up...

Plus one of my guppies is pregnant so I'll take the ten gal and after I get the fish out of it I'll get tht to cycle and put the babies in there so they won't get eatin

Just added a catfish log and Brutus ( my

Pelco lol) loves this thing I also bought some real drift wood for the 30 gal because I read that catfish eat off of it

Attachments

• image-3842040903.jpg
    image-3842040903.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 38
  • image-2940520993.jpg
    image-2940520993.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 37
  • image-3483893480.jpg
    image-3483893480.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 37
Yeah they like drift to chomp on :) just so you know and forgive me if i insult your intelligence but you know not to add pure ammonia to a tank with fish in dont you.

Edit* forget that, im sure you do.

Yea lol I no I was reading how to cycle last nite and I'll add the ammonia up to 3 ppm wait for it to go down then wait for nitrite to go up then go down and wait for nitrat to go up, and at that part I'll change the water about 25-30% because nitrate will just build and could spoil the cycle after the water change I should b able to add the fish .... I think lol is this right??

Dose more ammonia when it drops otherwise while your waiting for the nitrite bacteria to form, which takes time, your ammo bacteria will starve.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom