New Fish - Halfbeak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Osomini

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Everyone

I noticed my LFS had some Halfbeak Gar baby(I learned they aren't actually Gar) for sale, they are currently 2-2.5" long. They looked cool so I did as much research as I could find and came up with generic information.

So I went to pick up 3 Halfbeak's yesterday and they are awesome look at in the aquarium and are eating Veggie Flakes. They are currently in a 10gal swimming peacefully with 3 Julii Cory's and 1 Panda Cory.

Once they get larger (I assume 3-4" based on species they may stay around 2-3", only time will tell) I will be placing them in a 29gal tank.

I apologize in advance for the many questions.

Does anyone have Halfbeak fish?

Once larger will they destroy the 6 Neon Tetra and 8 Zebra Danio population?
I was told by the LFS if I feed them flakes and other non-wiggling foods they wont eat tank mates.

Everyone views the thread, but no one has an answer :(

I have only seen them in pictures and know nothing about them, sorry. I am interested in learning about them though.

Thanks Brennae,

I am going to post some pictures because now I learned that they might not grow to 4-5" like the LFS stated. I might actually have the 2-3" breed, in which case I will be purchasing two more.

They are cool little fish, they come right up the open glass when I feed them.

Thanks Bettaowner, it turns out that they are indeed Wrestling Halfbeak's, so I picked up two more.

Since I did their job for them and informed them that they WONT grow to 5" like they stated, the LFS gave them to me for free.

Back
Top Bottom