New fishies!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
These are the lights I was talking about.

This is what it looks like with the double bulbs. The previous pictures are with the double bulb. This is with the T8.

Ohhhh. Those double bulbs. I had those on my 10 gal before. They are not bright and the t8 will definitely be brighter. I actually switched the double bright's bulbs with HO lights and it was a lot brighter. I got the bulbs at petco and the tank got like 10x brighter.

Ohhhh. Those double bulbs. I had those on my 10 gal before. They are not bright and the t8 will definitely be brighter. I actually switched the double bright's bulbs with HO lights and it was a lot brighter. I got the bulbs at petco and the tank got like 10x brighter.

Yeah, unfortunately, I would have to buy a whole new hood to use a T8 bulb. new hoods are expensive so I won't be getting one anytime soon. Now that I see what the T8 looks like, I think I will put that hood in this tank and put the less bright with my Betta.

Yeah, unfortunately, I would have to buy a whole new hood to use a T8 bulb. new hoods are expensive so I won't be getting one anytime soon. Now that I see what the T8 looks like, I think I will put that hood in this tank and put the less bright with my Betta.

Ok. So double bulb with beta and t8 with silk plant tank?

What kind of endlers are those? Looks like black bar? Tank looks pretty nice so far btw. I personally don't recommend getting the guppies because guppies will cross breed with endlers. And also, guppies have a tendency to die off quick because of guppy disease and because they are so small, they are also not very strong. Though guppies may seem like easy fish to take care of, they really aren't.

Guppy disease is pretty easily avoided - just have them in good conditions. It is not a very common disease at all, to be honest it would be one of the least of my worries when buying them.

The small fish = touchy fish thing is also incorrect. You can kill a big fish as easily as a small one if you neglect it. I can find you tons of fish bigger than a guppy that are much more touchy. They ARE some of the easiest fish to take care of, as long as you take care of them right.

Guppy disease is pretty easily avoided - just have them in good conditions. It is not a very common disease at all, to be honest it would be one of the least of my worries when buying them.

The small fish = touchy fish thing is also incorrect. You can kill a big fish as easily as a small one if you neglect it. I can find you tons of fish bigger than a guppy that are much more touchy. They ARE some of the easiest fish to take care of, as long as you take care of them right.

Thanks, I have to go get some more neons for my 20 gal soon anyway so I will surprise my mom and bring home one of those guppies too for her 10 gal. Hopefully it works out. If not, I can always return the guppy, give him to a friend of mine who has a guppy tank, or put him in one of my other tanks. Any way, I'll make sure he has a good home. :)

I guess it depends on your pet shop's quality of guppy or fish in general. All mine have dead guppies strewn everywhere in the guppy tank. Once I tried to get one but a day later, it was belly up. But I wasn't sure if it was guppy disease. ( his tank was in perfect condition btw ). True, discus are a lot more sensitive than guppies. But guppies aren't as strong as most fish either.

Thanks, I have to go get some more neons for my 20 gal soon anyway so I will surprise my mom and bring home one of those guppies too for her 10 gal. Hopefully it works out. If not, I can always return the guppy, give him to a friend of mine who has a guppy tank, or put him in one of my other tanks. Any way, I'll make sure he has a good home. :)

Ok. Sounds good! :). Are guppies schooling/schoaling fish though?

Ok. Sounds good! :). Are guppies schooling/schoaling fish though?

I've done a lot of research on that and it seems to be a pretty even debate. However, I have yet to find someone who has kept a single guppy and had a negative experience. I've also heard of a lot of people keeping one guppy in a tank. I'm. I'm not saying it's a good idea because other people do it, I'm just saying that's what I've found. Like I said, if he seems lonely, I can give him to a friend who has other guppies.

I guess it depends on your pet shop's quality of guppy or fish in general. All mine have dead guppies strewn everywhere in the guppy tank. Once I tried to get one but a day later, it was belly up. But I wasn't sure if it was guppy disease. ( his tank was in perfect condition btw ). True, discus are a lot more sensitive than guppies. But guppies aren't as strong as most fish either.

From a purely physical aspect, you would probably be right in saying that bigger fish are 'stronger.' However, While an oscar may possess the strength to move a rock which a guppy cannot, I do not know of any direct correlation beteeen immunity and fish size - nor can I find any such information with a few searches. It seems as if it largely depends on the disease at hand. The same appears to go for longevity as well - while it seems that more large fish have 'long' lifespans, there does not seem to be a direct relationship between the two. Once again it is also species dependent.

Last edited:
Well, as expected from the fish at my local Pesmart, not all the Endler's made it. Had 6 but I'm down to three now (only found 2 bodies though so I guess the shrimp got fed). Brought the two that I found back to Petsmart and since they didn't have any more Endler's in stock I just got my mom a Red Tuxedo Guppy (which my mom quickly named "Yuppy the guppy") and got a refund on the other one. I was so close to buying a beautiful tri-colored marble Betta while I was there but I didn't because I wasn't sure of where to put him. :(

Before you guys say anything, yes, my tank was cycled and yes I acclimated my Endler's correctly. I have had trouble in the past with my Petsmart fish not being in the best of health when I buy them. I try not to buy fish there because I often have to return them but my other LFS that I usually go to (that I have never had to return any fish to) didn't have Endler's in stock.

Anyway, my mom loves her "Yuppy". I will try to get pictures tomorrow. :)

I burst out laughing when I saw "Yuppy the Guppy". :lol:
Petsmart, petco, and all the big chain's fish are all stressed out because they like just arrived at petsmart and like 1-3 days later, they are moved to another tank so that can cause some deaths.
Betas can actually be kept with community/semi-aggressive fish but it usually depends on the beta's personality. I've seen many people's tanks with a beta in it.

Well, I took a look at Yuppy this morning when I fed my fish and I'm not sure if he's going to make it. He looked okay when I brought him home and after I put him in the tank but I just noticed that he seems unable to use one of his fins and he didn't eat anything even though the flakes floated right in front of him. I really hope he makes it because he's really pretty and my mom really likes him.....

Back
Top Bottom