New: Opaline Gourami!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was at the store today and looking for something interesting.... And I saw a couple beautiful Opaline Gourami's.. Picked the one with the darkest black markings against the blue! I'm excited! Never owned a gourami before but read they're good with a community tank... Got him/her for $1.49! :)

Any advice??

Im bout to get my first gourami hope all goes well with yours lookin foward to hopefully seeing pictures

I am new to gouramis as well. I have one dwarf gourami and will be moving him to my 20G community next weekend. Congrats!

Gouramis are neat fish I have been keeping them for years just need to be very careful when keeping more than one lol. Good luck!

Ive had a dwarf gourami, an opi and a gold gourami. my dwarf was killed my the opi and the gold gourami got picked on. I ended up returning the opi and still have the gold but he runs the tank now with my red-tail shark. Just be careful of other tank mates (especially other gouramis) but I wish you the best of luck since all fish sometimes have different personalities.

ocminpin said:
PICS! :)

Is this a boy or a girl?? Sorry for not clear pics... Best I could do... He or she is shy at the moment...

It's 100% boy you can see it at THE form of is upper Fin back, Google difference between male and remake goerami and then you see IT with pictures

Boinater said:
It's 100% boy you can see it at THE form of is upper Fin back, Google difference between male and remake goerami and then you see IT with pictures

I agree with you.. Thank you! :) I looks it up online first and wanted an opinion before I mentioned that. Thank you!

They're not always peaceful, mine was was very mean and used to bully everything relentlessly! Nice fish tho :)

Nice fish. I love gourami. One of my fav fish.

A lot of people have mixed luck with them. They can be big butt heads sometimes.

They like a well planted tank. I've always found with any of mine that I really notice behavior problems arise when their environment isn't the best. Most often adding some more plant cover or changing the lay out of my tank will help. Breaking up sight lines and offering defined territories. It would also appreciate having some floating plant cover if you don't have any. If you don't do live plants even just taking a couple fake plants and ripping the stems off and floating them will do.

Do you think some of those issues might pop up as he gets older? He's in a tank with mollies and a Platy. So far in the last 3 days he'a gotten along with everyone. He was shy at first and would dart away in a flash when he saw me but now he's coming out more and swimming around more contently.
I was reading they get 4-6" but generally stay closer to 4"??

I think your chances are very good. We had two and kept the female but not the male. They live by pecking order. The male would not accept second place vs. our male jack dempsey. He was relentlessly aggressive and the jack was losing patience...so we saved his life by removing him. In your set up, your gourami will be the biggest fish and should be able to be number one. :) --My two cents.

CoryFan said:
I think your chances are very good. We had two and kept the female but not the male. They live by pecking order. The male would not accept second place vs. our male jack dempsey. He was relentlessly aggressive and the jack was losing patience...so we saved his life by removing him. In your set up, your gourami will be the biggest fish and should be able to be number one. :) --My two cents.

Wiggles24 said:
Even though they can be quite aggressive towards other gouramis they tend to be pretty peaceful in community tanks.

Sounds awesome! Yay!! I'm wondering if his blue will darken at all or stay the super light blue. I know his black stripes were duller and darkened within 30 mins of being in the tank.

Do you have a theme for your names?

Stitch (from Lilo and Stitch)
Sully (from Monsters Incorporated)
Poseidon
Marble

CoryFan said:
Do you have a theme for your names?

Stitch (from Lilo and Stitch)
Sully (from Monsters Incorporated)
Poseidon
Marble

I did once but not anymore...