New planted 29G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Julianciraco

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey there guys, I'm new to this forum but I just wanted to share my new set up. Or tobe set up lol since I'm still working on it.
It's a 29G tank, I have about 3" of substrate, a DIY co2 injection with yeast and sugar mixture. A DIY LED fixture, it has 5 CW, 5 WW, and 4 NW LEDs. All evenly distributed and 2 royal blue moonlights with a dimmer to its lowest setting. I have a marine land C-160 canister filter. I just introduced my first 4 plecos in the tank since I set it up about 2 weeks ago and my water parameters finally stabilized. Little baby plecos lol. Ok I'll leave a picture of the tank at night. Note: the picture is actually brighter than in real life lol so don't be alarmed of how bright those lights are.
Ok here it is tell me what you think and ill post a picture of daylight tomorrow, I would love some opinions, advices and possible hints for landscaping :) throw plants names and whatever opinion you have. Thank you :)

hey there guys, I'm new to this forum but I just wanted to share my new set up. Or tobe set up lol since I'm still working on it.
It's a 29G tank, I have about 3" of substrate, a DIY co2 injection with yeast and sugar mixture. A DIY LED fixture, it has 5 CW, 5 WW, and 4 NW LEDs. All evenly distributed and 2 royal blue moonlights with a dimmer to its lowest setting. I have a marine land C-160 canister filter. I just introduced my first 4 plecos in the tank since I set it up about 2 weeks ago and my water parameters finally stabilized. Little baby plecos lol. Ok I'll leave a picture of the tank at night. Note: the picture is actually brighter than in real life lol so don't be alarmed of how bright those lights are.
Ok here it is tell me what you think and ill post a picture of daylight tomorrow, I would love some opinions, advices and possible hints for landscaping :) throw plants names and whatever opinion you have. Thank you :)

Hi and welcome to AA....What type of plecos do you have (common, bristlenose, rubberlip, etc)? BTW nice looking tank

Hi! Thank you :)

Ummm I can't remember, when I went to my local shop I asked for the ones that don't eat plants lol, I used to have two of them, I think they are rubber lip but ill try to find out the name tomorrow :)

Looks nice! IMO, I would add more plants :)

Eventually you can only keep 1-2 plecos in there unless they stay under 3".

Lol thank you for the reply. I want it to be heavily planted but since I just started it I haven't gottent around to it, plus the store I get everything from had a delay in the shipment so I have to wait :/

Looks nice! I'd find out what plecos they are; if they are commons they grow to a massive size and will eventually need a huge tank. Even if they are the smaller types, you could only keep 1-2 in a 30 gal long-term.

Also how did you cycle the tank? If you let it run it doesn't cycle it I'm afraid. Here are some links if you haven't seen them:
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Welcome to AA, by the way ;)

It's not a normal pleco, I was told by the guy it grows bout 4" lol. When I go Friday to get some plants ill ask him. My tank is fully cycled I had this tank for over a year with African cichlids but during sandy I lost power for 10 days and almost all my fishes died so I have them to my friend who has cichlids in a 90gal as well. I used an old filter to cycle and tested every other day, both ammonia and nitrites spiked up and went down so I'm good with the bacteria cycle. I'm not new to fishtank a just new to planted hehe. If you have any hints on what plants I could put or anything like that let me know :) thank you.

I forgot I said I was going to post a picture of my tank with the day light on lol so here it goes, it looks so bare I wanted to be planted already lol :(

Attachments

• image-3149662176.jpg
    image-3149662176.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 61
Not sure about the LED lights and plants; you may be able to grow some low-light plants. Maybe ask in the planted forum or the hardware forum and see what replies you get. You could always try some low-light plants and see how they fare, such as java fern, anubias, crypts or swords (either of those would also benefit from root tabs in the substrate).

Quick update! I just finished putting some new foxtails, anubias, dwarf baby tears, dwarf hairgrass, purple and green cabombas, red melon sword,java and lazy fern, and some flame moss! The plecos are ancistris, and I got 15 tetras so far! :)

Attachments

• image-1746380623.jpg
    image-1746380623.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 50
Sweet looking good i like the wood setup you have i also need to add some to my tank once i get the extra cash. looks great tho and i love the moon light i needa get myself one of those also.

Back
Top Bottom