New Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kasakato

Aquarium Advice Freak
Soon I will go out to Big Al's to buy a 20g high tank started kit. This is what they give you:

Marineland(ML) 20g combo (canope/tank)
Fluorescent bulb
ML 125 Bio-wheel filter
ML Dual temp. heater 100w
Big Al's staple flake food
1 oz Big Al's water condioner
1 oz Big Al's Bio-support
Net
Thermometer
Samples(???)

All for 129.99 CAD

Is all of this stuff good?
Will this stuff work for a planted or tropical setup?
What else do I need to buy? (CO2 injecter, etc.)
What fish would you use?

[center:069597080b] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, Kasakato! :n00b: [/center:069597080b]

1 oz Big Al's Bio-support
I don't think this is worth anything.
Big Al's staple flake food
Okay, but you will want to give your fish a variety of foods.

I have never used ML heaters, but the bio wheels are nice. Depending on the planted tank, you may need a higher wattage light, then the CO2..... I have low light plants and am very happy with them. No CO2 needed and the plants are growing nicely. If you go with a high wattage planted tank, then you will want to replace the bio-wheel for a small canister filter.

You need to decide on the fish you want and how heavily planted and with what plants before any of us can tell you if it's a good deal.

What fish do YOU like? :D

Ok these are the fish I want:

9 neon tetras
2 small cory's
2 otto's
3 platies
1 guppy

I would like to have a low light plants as the wattage in the hood is only 15w. I would like to have a lightly planted tank.

That sounds like my Badis tank--light that came with it and low light plants.
Here is a thread about low light plants:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=20641&highlight=

The fish list looks good. You will have a full tank! Make sure your tank is fully cycled before adding the neons. Your tank should be fully cycled before adding any fish, but neons are not hardy and you may want to make sure the other fish are fine first. Wait a couple of months before adding the ottos. A small cory cat that is a ton of fun is the pygmy cat and I also recommend the peppered cories (sorry, I can never remember their real name).

If you haven't read about the nitrogen cycle, there is an article in the Articles section. Will you be doing a fishless cycle?

Back
Top Bottom