New Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fisherman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just recently BUILT an aquarium. It is big, real big. 600 gallons to be exact. I am now ready for fish and want to know what all I need to do to the water to have it ready. Are there any chemicals that I need to add to the water or not? Also I need to know if I am going to need anything other than a pump and a filter. Thanks for the help.

wow!!! 8O got any pictures?? I guess fill it up, make sure it holds the water (600 gallons is a lot to clean up!) and then add dechlorifier. Run the filter to get the water circulating, and then you can decide to either cycle with fish or without.

Welcome to Aquarium Advice! 0X

Lots of questions for you, hope you don't mind :wink:

You will need some serious filtration for this tank, and as this is not a typical setup your typical filter is not going to do the trick. What are the dimensions of this tank? Also, what are your plans for it? Large schools or several tank buster type fish that get too big for most aquariums?

I would imagine you'll need to plumb in some type of filtration system like an Ocean Clear. You will also likely need some kind of water movement jet system, which can be assembled using pvc pipe that is laid out in a pattern under your substrate (assuming you will have that) with jets placed strategically in corners and behind rocks, etc., and operated with water pumps to prevent "dead" spots.

Your water change routine will need to be taken into consideration, also, because a syphon and a bucket will be like mowing a golf course with a nose trimmer :lol:

The dimensions are 8 ft by 4 ft and 3 ft deep. My filter is a 3/4 hp pool pump that works well and circulates the water well. I have a big pond filter sitting it one of the corners now that is really picking up the dirt and keeping it crystal clear(so far, i dont have fish yet). I dont have any pics but I could get some as soon as it is all said and done. I know it is quiet a setup, but i am going to be a marine biologist, so crazy ideas come to me I guess. I am hoping to just put freshwater fish in it, like wild ones(largemouth bass, bluegill, etc.) and see how that goes. Any suggestions I would appreciate. Thanks!!

That would be really cool. I recall going to an RV/Recreation show a few years ago and they had a tank similar to the one you are wanting to design. It had large bass and bluegill as well as other species, perch and maybe a walleye. It looked awesome. Some tree branches and rocks with stream rocks as the substrate. Nice set up for something that is set up and torn down every week. They were using the tank to demonstrate fishing lures if I remember correctly.

Back
Top Bottom