New Tank...........geez

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mantis

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Wish I had found this site 3 days ago when I started setting up my 39 gal f/w tank. I set it up then left it for a day.......made the mistake of going to "look" at fish stuff.............ended up buying 5 cardinal tetras ~sigh~. Couldn't help myself. The fish are surving, as I am using them as my startup fish, but my tank is startiung to get cloudy. :oops: I know I started off wrong so now I'm doing the challenge thing of making things right. PLEASE help. Its been 5 years since I've had a tank and it was only 25 gal. Try not to yell to much at me. I'm trying to read all the posts on this site as I type for help! LOL Thanks.

mantis[/code]

Check your pH,Ammonia and Nitrite levels.
The cloudiness is just part of the tank setting up it will go away in time.
Make sure your pH is adjusted for the type of fish you are going to keep.
You will start to see your Ammonia start to rise then your Nitrites will go up all part of the tank cycling. Just my oppinion but I cycle new tanks with Danios rather then Tetras they are heartier fish and seem to do better.
Good Luck keep us posted and feel free to ask ? there are alot of members here to help.

Thanks. Tomorrow I'm going to take a sample in to be tested and to look for my on test kit.
I plan on having gouramis and tetras in the tank with some coolie loaches and maybe some rainbow sharks.
I just got to excited looking at the fish........but the tetras are still alive!!! Thanks for your input. Mantis

Be careful with the Rainbow shark and tetras - the shark may decide he wants to eat them if they're too small! I really want a shark, but I'm afraid that he'll munch on my smaller tetras and danios, so I'm going to wait for them to grow up a bit first.

Also - if you're going to get a rainbow, only get one! As adults, they're said to get very aggressive towards their own species!

Tetras have a tendancy to become food for Rainbow Sharks, as well as my Black Banded Leporinus (which are supposed to be Herbivours).

Back
Top Bottom