New tank, new guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Logankwolf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got my tank set it up. To the correct temperature and have a good filter. I got 3 guppies to start with and I have a 10 gallon tank. The guppies keep going to the surface to breathe but then go to the bottom for a bit. I'm sure this is due to "the cycle" of the tank and the ammonia levels are high. Should I be very worried?

You need to do some partal water changes to get the ammonia down. Use a good water conditioner such as Prime to treat the water that you put back in the tank.
The fish are going to the surface to get oxygen. High Ammonia levels depletes the oxygen levels. The fish will die if water changes are not done to control the ammonia levels.
Google fish in cycle and read up on how to safely get fish thru a " fish in cycle"

What size tank do you have?
Do you have your own test kit so you can keep up with water peramitors? If you dont you realy should get one instead of relying on the lfs. They have been known to tell people that water quality is ok when it is realy messed up. I recommend a liquid master kit. With this being a new tank your gonna be doing alot of testing and alot of water changes until it cycles.
By the way welcome to this forum and watch out for the tank bug it causes mass addiction.
I started off with one tank now have 10. I enjoy them all each one is different and I realy love them.

I have a 10g. And I don't have the money right now :( how much are they?

You can order them off line kinda cheap. My experiance with different stores can be any where from $23-$36. They last for a long time. If you cant get a test kit you can take a sample to the lfs several times a week but have them write down the results not just tell you alls well. Make sure they give you the number readings for all the tests ammonia nitrite and nitrate are the real important ones.

There isn't much I can really do besides change a bit of the water and get the stuff to speed it up right?

For a 10 gal. tank change out at least 2 gallons of water daily until you can get a test kit or take some water to the lfs to have it tested. Make sure you use a good water conditioner everytime you do a water change.

Haha ok and that will work?

Last edited by a moderator:
Water changes are your best defense to protect your fish while cyceling your tank.
After you get cycled then you still have to do water changes but only once a week instead of daily.
And yes any curse word is considered bad. There are lots of children that get on here not just adults.

Ok. But anyways. Wouldn't the new water I'm putting in cause too much of a water temperature change? Because my water is heated. And putting the tap water into the heated water would mess that up.

When you do a water change make sure the water you put in the tank is the same as the tank.
You cant put cold water in you have to match the temprature as close as you can.

Yes I went to my local fish store. I got my water tested and my ammonia was at 1.0 and the nitrate, I believe was at .25.

Ok you need yo do about a 50 percent water change asap. And you are going to be doing daily water changes for a few weeks.
Your going to have ammonia for a bit and then you will have nitrites for a bit. Both re deadly for the fish. Water changes are needed to keep your fish healthy thru this nitrogen cycle.
You will know tge tank is cycled when water test shows 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and 0-40 ppm nitrates.
After you are completly cycled you can set up a schedule to do one water change a week. You will still want to keep an eye on water peramitors even after you are filly cycled.

The people at the fish store told me 2 20% changes weekly.

Back
Top Bottom