Newb setting up a 55 gal help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SuperNewb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am totally new to the hobby, but I know I have a general idea of what I want- planted community with ghost shrimp, julii cats, those small placs that max out at 5 inches- also some guppys, platys, and sword tails for breeding (just for fun:D) I want some floating plants that are really stringy and pod for fry (suggestions please.) Also some good plants on the bottom for fry. What are some other cool fish to add? Im thinking I want to add a few cichlids (really small when intro-ed so they don't tear up the guppies)- hopefully they breed. (What is a breed that isn't as aggressive?)
I am thinking I might divide the tank into two- which fishes should I put in each group?
Any more coolio fishes? fun ones to watch? really pretty fish?

Also, I know a lot of fry will be eaten with this combo- I am totally fine with that. My goal is to have a tank where multiple species are constantly having babies, but I don't want to have to worry about extreme over population, so most babies being eaten is ideal- let nature do its thing.

Please help- I need a little confirmation that this won't fail miserably.

ps- I will be doing this over time, I understand the basics of having a tank. Choosing the fish for a diverse community planted tank is what I need.

feel free to tell me of any "got to have" fishes- would be much appreciated

:thanks::thanks::thanks:

Well I'm not 100% on compatibly but I will address what I know! Corys tend to be best in groups, so you will need at least 4-5. By placs did you mean pleco?? I'm assuming a typo, so you'd be looking for a bristle nose. With the pleco you will need driftwood for it and may want to look into what substrate may be best.

As for cichlids, I don't know much about them. The only peaceful kind I know of is the ram, google german blue for an idea, though I did notice a few other kinds in my local pet store. They are really interesting looking fish but aren't very hardy.

Are you planning to do fishless cycle or fish in?

Are you planning a low light tank or will you highlight? It's hard to recommend plants without knowing the lighting situation. I will say Java moss and java fern off the top of my head because I know they are low light and would offer some great hiding spots. I think the floating stringy plant you are thinking about is called riccia, can't tell you anything about it though. lol.

For cool fish I recommend gourmi, there are so really neat coloration but may not work with some of your ideas. Just something to look into for you.

If your planning on having a community tank ( which for the most part it sounds like you are) you don't want to put cichlids in with them perioud especially with swords because even the least aggressive cichlid would be ripping your males swords right off. Best to just due a species tank with cichlids

RobbieHadley said:
If your planning on having a community tank ( which for the most part it sounds like you are) you don't want to put cichlids in with them perioud especially with swords because even the least aggressive cichlid would be ripping your males swords right off. Best to just due a species tank with cichlids

You can do german blue rams or maybe kribs. The kris are quite aggressive when breeding though

I'm also a fan if the german ram idea but never had one (looking into it for my next tank in October). From experience though I have a great love for dwarf Gourami. Go really well with my guppies and mollies and although I've stuck with the neon blue dwarfs there are a heap of different types (sizes and colours) to pick from.

Jmurray17 said:
I'm also a fan if the german ram idea but never had one (looking into it for my next tank in October). From experience though I have a great love for dwarf Gourami. Go really well with my guppies and mollies and although I've stuck with the neon blue dwarfs there are a heap of different types (sizes and colours) to pick from.

Me too! I love my dwarf Gouramis! I have 5 lol. My males starting building bubble nests the other day! :) :D

Samzter said:
Me too! I love my dwarf Gouramis! I have 5 lol. My males starting building bubble nests the other day! :) :D

Ahh so jealous :) I've only had my two males for 3 months. They are so great to watch! Can't wait for my 4 ft tank in October to get some more of these guys!

Samzter said:
You can do german blue rams or maybe kribs. The kris are quite aggressive when breeding though

You could do blue rams if you do make sure there are A LOT of hiding places for them otherwise they get very aggressive

Back
Top Bottom