Newbie doing it all backwards!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ColdKoi

Aquarium Advice Freak
So in typical newbie fashion. I’ve gone and jumped in with both feet and doing it completely backwards!

But hear me out...

Given my location, it’s all of a 4 hour drive to the nearest fish shop. None of which will allow me to prepurchase or hold fish, and I’ve been burnt several times driving all the way there only for all but one or 2 being left. So I ended up scooping up most of what they had for comets at the time with some supplies and a tank. My thoughts are the small comets will likely be too easy prey for the koi or other predators, ill have to let them fill out a bit before they go to the pond.

I’ve got a 1/2acre pond (dugout) that has some happy little 6-8” koi and a few odds and ends of mixed fancy’s ~4”

I want to get a fair amount of fish in there so they’re easily viewed from the gazebo. Thus this whole mess

Of course the biggest tank they had was a 29gal, so that’s what we get. Using an aqua clear 70 on it and threw in a couple red ludwigia just because I like to see things die I guess ��*♂️. My whole thought process here is that it’s better to try and fail rather than drive back and forth till the end of time until I get the fish I want!

Anyways, as of the last 24hr, I’ve moved the large comets out to the pond. They quickly grouped up with the other koi and fancy’s in there and started swimming around. The remaining 45 small comets are divided up into the 29gal and a makeshift 15gal.

The 29gal held the 23 larges (3-4”) as well as a few smalls. As one would imagine within 12hr the ammonia was up to .5 already! So I did a 30% water change in the morning and everyone was happy all day. This evening I moved the larges to the pond to ease that poor tank of some of its load. My temporary tank which only had the smalls took till this afternoon before it was nearing the .5 ammonia mark, at which point I have it a dose of ammo lock and everyone is still happy in that tank this far

After reading around, I’m holding off using ammo lock in the 29gal, as I want to have reliable readings on that water as that tank will stay operational for a while and I want a proper cycle on it! (Even though I’m doing it all the wrong way!)

Supplies and availability is all scarce up here so I’m just working with what I’ve got for now. But so far no fatalities other than during the drive home.

I can foresee a lot of water changes in the near future though it seems to give mixed reviews on its effect on the cycling. But to me that’s cheaper and easier than driving 4hrs all the time. So I guess that’s my long winded story for now.

Any new hidden tricks for such a dumb venture? Lol

Well so far so good. Everyone’s alive and happy thus far.

Did a %50 water change on the 29gal last night, as of a few minutes ago ammonia is ‘only’ between .25/.5

I’ve been feeding lightly to try and keep things from going sideways but looks like they got a little hungry today and ate the arse off of one of the nicer coloured guys :eek:

Also, I’m no fish doctor but what’s this white crap growing on this other guy? That’s new today :confused:

Attachments

• 94FA925E-3782-485C-86F1-0B03D29679CB.jpg
    94FA925E-3782-485C-86F1-0B03D29679CB.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 37
  • D5751D87-77FE-4687-8775-42A22A9D8FE2.jpg
    D5751D87-77FE-4687-8775-42A22A9D8FE2.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 28
So far so good. Options are limited so the only thing I could get was Tetra ick guard, so the whole 29gal got treated last night as many of the others had similar white spots which actually appeared more like ick by the time I got home.

All survivors thus far. 48hrs on this water change and the tank seems to be holding out not too bad for the scenario. Tank total uptime has been 96hrs, 16x 1.5” comets and 2x 1.5” plecos

Ph 7.4
Amm ~.25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate ~5ppm

Going to be doing a 25% wc tonight and tossing in some more ick tablets to see if we can’t get rid of this gunk

I used Kordons rid ich plus.
The LFS sold me on it. Saying 'its what they use' and it WORKED! I would give it a shot if you're able to find some if what you're using isnt working...
But you definitely dont want to spread that to your pond... have you checked those fish? Do they show any signs of ich or fungus?
Have my fingers crossed for you!!
I totally understand the whole 'doing things backwards' and it is usually out of necessity..
Most have done it at one point I'm sure... :p
Best of luck!! Please keep me updated!!

You’d have to catch those buggers out in the pond to check them out lol

They’re a bit like a needle in a haystack, with this hot weather we’ve been having they tend to hang out in the deeper water. Though in the evenings when it cools off you can usually see them swim by, patrolling the shoreline

Attachments

• EF756053-4534-4A2F-A53C-95D7A37614CD.jpg
    EF756053-4534-4A2F-A53C-95D7A37614CD.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 19
Oh my gosh!!!!
I totally did not realize how big the pond you had is!
That is truly SOOOO beautiful!!!
Any fish would be sooo happy to live there!!
I really hope that they pull through so that they can enjoy it too!! Any luck? What treatment are you using currently?

Haven’t seen them for a couple days, hoping the koi didn’t gobble up the guys that I put in there on the weekend!

For the little comets in the tank, they’re getting the tetra ick tablets. This is only going on 24hr of treatment so little change yet

Got one loser that went tits up today, and another that disappeared. “Stumps” the dude that got his tail eaten off is still hanging in there

Parameters have shifted a bit today
Ph-8
Amm ~.5
Nitrite ~.10
Nitrate ~ .25

Don’t see near as much ick on them, going to do another water change later and treat again. Been going with lower dose treatments on the ick as most of the reviews say full dose is likely to kill any weak/stressed fish

Keep up doing what you can.

Quarantine any fish, or you could wipe out some of your pond fish.

Stress is a killer for already compromised fish.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/ich-ick-white-spot-or-whatever-else-you-call-it/

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/freshwater-ich-yuck/

Changing the water, a lot, will help the ammonia decrease / increases in ammonia, NitrItes and nitrates / poor water quality can further reduce the fish's ability to fight infections.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/fish-disease-index-for-diagnosis-and-treatment/

Got one loser that went tits up today, and another that disappeared. “Stumps” the dude that got his tail eaten off is still hanging in there

Parameters have shifted a bit today
Ph-8
Amm ~.5
Nitrite ~.10
Nitrate ~ .25

Don’t see near as much ick on them, going to do another water change later and treat again. Been going with lower dose treatments on the ick as most of the reviews say full dose is likely to kill any weak/stressed fish
A note on ammonia toxicity. The higher the pH and temperature the more toxic the ammonia you are seeing in your test becomes. You have quite a high pH so you should certainly keep an eye on it.

Your ammonia test doesnt test for free ammonia, its reading total ammonia nitrogen. TAN is the total of free ammonia and ammonium. Free ammonia is extremely toxic in even tiny amounts. Ammonium much, much less so. The proportion between the 2 is dependant on the water temperature and pH. The higher these are, more of what your test is actually showing is free ammonia and the risk is greater.

Attached are the tables for the water parameters around where you are.

Green is good, yellow start to take preventative action and not good longer term, red is immediate danger to your fish. At your levels I wouldnt let them get any worse.

Link to more in depth article if you are interested.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159994Aquarium%20Advice303900740.jpgAquarium%20Advice-1972380865.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, everything is working against me right now but so far so good.

Unfortunately it’s been pretty hot here lately which isn’t helping things. The last 2 days the tank has been up to 82°f

I’ve read vinegar could be used to lower the ph, I wouldn’t mind lowering it to help things out but I’m stuck with home brew fixes for this as it’s a 4hr drive to get chemical. But I also don’t want to just throw some junk in there and nuke the tank either lol

Thanks, everything is working against me right now but so far so good.

Unfortunately it’s been pretty hot here lately which isn’t helping things. The last 2 days the tank has been up to 82°f

I’ve read vinegar could be used to lower the ph, I wouldn’t mind lowering it to help things out but I’m stuck with home brew fixes for this as it’s a 4hr drive to get chemical. But I also don’t want to just throw some junk in there and nuke the tank either lol

I wouldnt do anything to muck about with pH. Your pH isnt a problem, it just means you have to be a little bit more careful with ammonia levels. Chasing pH numbers usually does more harm than good.

Honestly, the heat will help!
Anything I've read for fungus/ick says to increase heat!!
So it honestly might help!!
:) best of luck and really hoping 'Stumps' pulls through!! Poor guy!!

Unfortunately stumps didn’t make it. I imagine the ick treatment was probably too much for him, going by the reviews it can be pretty harsh on them and I can only imagine he was holding on by a thread to begin with

But on the bright side, the cat got a little treat :cat: nothing goes to waste around here

I’m definitely going to have to try something different for ick treatment in the future. Like a lot of the reviews have said, this Tetra tablet will kill your fish, and they aren’t lying!

Didn’t have any deaths until I started using these tablets, lost 3 in total last night after treating the tank again. Did a 30% water change earlier in the day to freshen it up and as per tetras directions when treating past 24hr and they all appeared happy and healthy. I let everything settle down and equalize in the tank for a few hours, then started adding the ick tablets, within an hour stumps wasn’t acting normal, an hour or 2 later he was done. Got up this morning and 2 more were propped up in the weeds dead :confused:

Water quality is holding steady with the previous test, only thing That changed in the tank is the treatment

Awwww!! So sad to hear about Stumps!! :( I'm soo sorry!!

Honestly, I had a fungal infection with a garra I had JUST bought a few months back. And went back to the store ingot it and they gave me that Kordons rid ich plus.
. And although, i WISH soooo much that it WAS invert safe. BUT IT IS NOT. So ended up moving alllll of my shrimp and snails. And after 5 days at min dose and almost 2 weeks after that running a carbon filter, I was able to put the snails back and never had any other losses besides the already sick fish!!
So I definitely stand by that stuff!
It saved my tank, in my opinion!!
I thought I was going to lose all of my fish. But only lost 2 all together! And one was the carrier fish that was already sick. And the other was a kuhli that very well could have been sick or something and I wouldnt of known because I didnt see it very often at all!
So I think it did well. I had 4 panda cories in there also, and all 4 were perfectly fine through treatment and never showed any signs of ick or any fungus at all! *knock on wood!!*
But I would DEFINITELY recommend Kordons Rid Ich Plus to anyone with ich or fungus issues!! (Unless they have shrimp and snails. They would have to be moved)
But check into it if you are able to!
My LFS said "it is what they use." And that is what made me buy it! Lol.
Best of luck to you with the rest of your fishies! I am sure any living in that GORGEOUS pond are living their best life!!! Soooooo beautiful!!

Unfortunately just working with what I’ve got or can get locally which isn’t much, just this tetra tablet crap that seems to have mixed reviews.

I’ll try and order up a few things in the event of another issue in the future which is likely

Well it seems the tank is starting to cycle. I’ll admit, It’s been a couple days since the last water change (75% in about 12hr span) and testing. But today I tested and ph has dropped back to ~7.5 and nitrites have spiked to 2+

I know ammo lock is said to cause false nh3/4 readings, this last water change I had started using seachem prime which is supposed to detoxify nitrites. Does it cause false readings as well?

Either way, I’ll be doing another water change tonight to keep everyone happy in the tank. They all seem to be doing great lately

Well, month later we appear to be cycled. Last water change was a week ago, at that time nitrites were still fairly high and minimal nitrates

Tested today and nh3/4 are undetectable as are nitrites, think I finally managed to cycle it without killing off everyone!

(The ph test was the low ph, the angle makes it look darker than it is, my ph usually seems to land between both test ranges)

Attachments

• 663A8242-38A4-49E5-B1FC-503415D992C3.jpg
    663A8242-38A4-49E5-B1FC-503415D992C3.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 12
Back
Top Bottom