NEWBIE- New Starter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Virginfish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all,

I is a deifinite NEWBIE. This is my first fish tank project, other done the goldfish you used to win at the funfairs. So i need all the help i can get, so I hope you guys/gals can spare some time for me while i pick your brains.
I have just bought a Rekford 600: I wanted to go bigger (Much)but was told to start here.

New easy access hood,
Integral lighting 1 x 15w tube,
Separate feeder flap,
Cut out for option auto feeder.
Integrated Bioflow filter system,
Large 1.25litre filter volume,
Quick and easy access to the sponges for cleaning,
Integrated 50w heater.
Volume,63 litres UK. 16.64 US Gallons
Juwel Bioflow Super filter system.
Bottom frame eliminates the need for support material.
Outer dimension including cover, 60x30x42cm

I am in the process of cycling my tank, started just gone thursday, i have also already got 6 hardy fish recommended by the aquatic's store 4 guppies which 1 passed away this morning:cry: and 2 mollie's, added the usual dechlorination liquid and the bacterial booster. But the store did mention this can happen as it is a normal occurance when setting up a new tank.

I also have purchased a led underwater light (Blue), 2 outlet air pump and 120cm flexible bubble wall pipe.My main worry is the 120cm bubble wall as at the momnet it almost wraps around the whole tank. When i have it on medium power it does look nice but am worried if there could be to many bubbles in the tank. i have turned it right down at the moment so it just trickles out.Could the bubbles harm the fish?.
I was also told that i could leave the LED light on all night (it does look like a moon light) is this true or would it effect the fish fish sleeping.

I am also looking at something to clean the black sand/stones very small stones size of the number 0 on the keyboard with. There is so many toys out there i don't no which one to get and the reviews are all over the place, very confusing:confused: there is very limited height space as the tank is in between 2 shelfs.

I eventually want to build up the tank with a few more Neons and a Beeta fish, would this be OK?

When can i add plants?

Last edited:
Welcome to AA!

Cycling with fish requires you to do a partial water change (PWC) at least once a day to keep the ammonia levels below the toxic threshold. Do you have a kit to test your water parameters? If not, get a good liquid test kit that will test for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate at a minimum. When your tank is cycled, you should see 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites.

The bubbles shouldn't harm your fish. You could leave your LEDs on all the time too.

Look for a gravel vacuum to clean your substrate. There are very small vacuums available. You may have to get a battery-electric vacuum if you don't have much room.

Let your tank cycle before adding any fish. If you have both male and female guppies and mollies, you'll be overrun very soon. Both species are prolific breeders. If you only have one sex of each fish, some neons and a betta would make wonderful additions to your tank.

You can add plants at any time. With your current lighting, you'll be limited to low-light plants, but some java fern or anubias look nice.

Thanks BigJim,

I do appreciate your valuable advise.

I am now doing daily water changes and the fish are much happier, They are so much more active. I have since purchased a battery powered substrate cleaner which makes life so much easier. I vacuum the gravel which the dirt is caught in a separate net without the requirement of any buckets. Then all i do it remove the bag attach a hose switch and there it goes, pumps into a bucket right beside the tank and vice versa. By the way how do you know if the guppies are male or female? 2 looked very chummy for the first few days, but now seem a bit distant. Do you think there have been up to no good already?lol.

Glad to hear your fish are doing well.

Male guppies are usually much more colorful that females, but that's not always the case. The best way to tell is to look at the anal fin. The anal fin on the male is cylindrical and is called a gonopodium. The anal fin on a female is triangular. If you do have a pair of guppies, expect fry. Even if you don't have a pair, you may end up with fry. The females can store sperm from the males for a long time and several batches of fry. Livebearers (guppies, mollies, platies, swordtails) are prolific breeders and can fill an aquarium very quickly. I have 100 or so guppies from starting with two pairs.

Back
Top Bottom