Newbie: Questions Fishless Nitrogen Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The plants will consume nitrogen in its various forms but won't really do anything to promote the beneficial bacterial growth.
I have Malaysian DW in my shrimp tank and 2-3 years later they are still releasing tannins. It's subtle though; the only time I notice this is during water changes (the bucket is white).

Day 14 Two weeks

PReadings:
Ammonia 4ppm
High PH 7.6
PH 7.4
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0

So I am starting to get a little impatient. I used the TSS safe start Plus as my bacteria and I don't think its working. I will give this one more week. If it doesn't work I may just get 2 fishes and put the TSS Plus with the fish and monitor the water from there. Any suggestions? I could order Tims one and only but then that means i gotta wait more weeks.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 47
Check to see if the Tss+ has an expiration date, if the bacteria in a bottle is subject to temperature swings during transport to lfs or old
( like setting on shelf) it can go bad.
I have used both Dr.Tim's one and only, and Tss+ before, but most larger lfs carry different brands.
Have heard seachem stability is very good, maybe check another brand.
Really no substitute for patience here though I understand it's hard to look at a cycling empty tank!

Yea I will check the bottle when I get home. When you uses TSS+ did you do a fishless or fishin cycle? Just trying to find out if it works as a fishless cycle bacteria.

The plants will consume nitrogen in its various forms but won't really do anything to promote the beneficial bacterial growth.
I have Malaysian DW in my shrimp tank and 2-3 years later they are still releasing tannins. It's subtle though; the only time I notice this is during water changes (the bucket is white).
I boiled the wood for 2 hours it definitely took out an tannis that was in the wood. there is no stain to my water at all.

Mine was fish in but it shouldn't matter as long as you have ammonia to feed cycle.

No you just need some to feed the bacteria, that's plenty.
Its been like that for 15 days already and the bacteria isn't doing its job. I'll continue to monitor it. What kind of set up do you have?

I have 3 tanks (setup) a 75 gallon livebearer tank, 55 gallon guppy mansion, 10 gallon shrimp and endlers tank. My family likes watching livebearer and cory fry.

It appears your cycle has stalled for some reason, typically would have started by now. Is your temperature still 79 & your ph around 8, those are #'s I've had good luck cycling with.

Did you have luck finding another bacteria product to use, if so I would try that.

I have 3 tanks (setup) a 75 gallon livebearer tank, 55 gallon guppy mansion, 10 gallon shrimp and endlers tank. My family likes watching livebearer and cory fry.

It appears your cycle has stalled for some reason, typically would have started by now. Is your temperature still 79 & your ph around 8, those are #'s I've had good luck cycling with.

Did you have luck finding another bacteria product to use, if so I would try that.
Sounds like a cool tank, I want to work up to owning Piranhas one day.

Yesterdays readings 17th Day
Ammonia between 4-6
High PH 7.6-7.8
nitrites 0
I didn't bother testing Nitrates because its probably 0
I guess I should just buy Tims one and only, I'm gonna order it today off of amazon.

My anacharis looks like its dying. Some parts are green and leafy others are slowly turning yellowish brown and the leafs are deteriorating. I'm starting a 10 hours a day lighting with LED lights that came with the tank.

Day 20

My anachris plants are practically dead. I poured the rest of the 4 0z bottle of TTS Plus on Tuesday. I just did the testing again. Nothing has changed same results.

Ammonia: between 4-8ppm
Nirtires:0
Nitrates:0
PH: 7.4-7.6

Tims one and only is coming in tomorrow. I may just go buy the fish put Tims one and only and throw them in there. Suggestions anyone?

:banghead:

I have found anacharis difficult to grow unless you have so much light that algae blooms. The fish love it, but it makes a mess when it melts and drops leaves in the tank.

Recommendations for better plants that need less light and good for the fish?

Recommendations for better plants that need less light and good for the fish?

Most of the online vendors have a listing of easy to grow plants in less than bright light. I won't pay the LFS prices. They should know how to keep them healthy and half their stock looks sick. Fish will like most any plant that isn't dead. I would make it easy on myself for at least the first few months.

For many floating anacharis is easier.

That's how I use it in my maternity live-bearer tanks. Fish constantly nibble on it, provides excellent cover for fry. If it gets ratty I toss it a strand at a time. I've had no luck trying to root it in the gravel in medium or low light.

Just got Tims one and Only

I've never had any experience using this but, it says pour it in the tank and put the fish in. So i have a some anacharis leaves floating around my tank. I don't want to have to reclean the whole tank do you think i can get away with leaving it in there pouring the bacteria and put fish in until I get a vacuum.

I've never had any experience using this but, it says pour it in the tank and put the fish in. So i have a some anacharis leaves floating around my tank. I don't want to have to reclean the whole tank do you think i can get away with leaving it in there pouring the bacteria and put fish in until I get a vacuum.
If by this you mean Tim's one and only, I would recommend adding it then as long as you have ammonia in the tank it should start to cycle. I would not add fish because then it becomes a fish in cycle and you have to look out for the welfare of the fish. Cycling with plants is fine, but will still take several weeks to a month to cycle.

Quick Update:

I picked up two ballon Mollys on Saturday.
I did a 50% water change. I put two cap fulls of tims one and only.
I noticed my ammonia levels were little high between 4-8ppm for the fish so i went out to Walmart and got a ammonia decrease tablets. It worked great lowered the ammonia between 1ppm-2ppm. I did not want to remove all the ammonia completely even though i know its not good for the fish because the bacteria is gonna need something to eat. The fish are happy, one of them was so hungry he ate all the left over anacharis leaves. After I put the ammonia tablet in I noticed the fish had more energy. One of the mollys has a white dry patch in between her eyes above the mouth, not sure if its temperature change burn or not, hopefully it goes away soon, any thoughts would be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom