NinjaTetra's 37 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why dont you just do manual tests? Nitrite and ammonia are easy. Nitrate is a pain with all that shaking. Yes those plants should be fine

Well I already have the in tank ammonia ones, and was just wondering about the others. If not I'll just get some strips, no problem. Also, is that stuff- cant think of the name- the plant one people dose for plants.... Well its the really popular one with decent reviews. Is it fertilizer or co2? I think its flourish maybe?

Ive been really busy for a while but now im back with a zillion questions. I added my plants today and filled the water to the top.

Oops i didnt mean to press send. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393049146.880700.jpg
Should i be worried about these lines in the trim? Theres no visible bowing and hopefully none at all. They could just be watermarks from drips too. Im not sure. Is a 37 gallon enough pressure to burst the glass? If those are from stress I will be trying to replace the trim, should I be worried? Also, ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393049425.276286.jpg
Here is the tank all set up. I have some rearranging to do with the vals, and if you strain your eyes you might see a couple tiny crypts. I also have one pennywort anchored and the other floating, my rock with a java fern, and the dwarf baby tears mat. Im hoping that after a few months it will all look a bi more natural. My brother noticed some small free-swimming wormish things near the baby tears, could anyone identify them based off of that?? Im sure once I get fish they will be eaten, unless they might present a problem. I am lucky enough to be snail free *Praise whomever the God is that ye worship* and I don't think I received the bonus of some free duckweed, although only time can tell that. There are already runners from the vals (red jungle) and despite paying $20 I am satisfied with my baby tears. They threw in some extra pennywort stems, but I do feel a bit skimped on the crypt wendtii- one has three leaves and the other five, all puny. Oh well, they grow. Anyway, the stores website is thepetshopaz.com, i highly recommend them. Also, should I separate the stems of pennywort so they float individually or keep them tied? If all goes well I will start my fish in cycle and then start stocking.

I think I had those floating plants once, I floated them freely and eventually they just grew together anyway so it's up to you. No clue on the worms. As far as the pressure thing, I have a 37g and have never had any issues with it even when I accidentally almost overflowed it. So you should be good there. With the baby tears, I don't know what light you're using but if you want it to mat and stay nice and low to the substrate you'll need a lot of light and CO2, otherwise they'll grow vertically instead if horizontally and look a little spindly. Not speaking from experience just what I've read over the last few days as I am planning on getting a baby tear carpet myself. What an odd phrase that is...a baby tear carpet. I bet those would fetch a high price haha

Yeah, I think I read that about the baby tears. I actually want them to get a bit taller, And only out to the sides enough to make it look a bit more natural and not like a green rectangle. Wow one individual stem of pennywort i accidentally tore off already has two small leaves. Today im moving the vals back further. Is it okay if a couple roots from a val runner are at an odd angle and are above gravel?

Not 100% sure but my Val's have spread from one end of the tank to the other along the back by themselves, and sometimes the runners are above gravel and they seem to be able to make it down so it should be good.

Okay. I seperated one runner that had some decent sized leaves, and now I geuss I just gotta wait. Two of five vals seem to be melting a bit, and one crypt lost a leaf but otherwise they are doing great. I do have to say, pennyworts are a bit messy. And when I was movin plants around... Whenever I even thought of looking at a val all of them would float up. Who else has yelled at an aquatic plant??? Lol! And one crypt got a bit annoying because the roots happen to go more up than sideways down (i dont know how it even grew) but I think in a couple months the leaves will grow and they will fill in. All the plants seem a bit perkier today.

I have a number of questions today- first, a few (not all) of the vals leaves are melting a bit... This is normal right? I am loving the pennywort, it grows so fast. I introduced my 4 black neons to the tank today, starting my fish in cycle. I will be testing ammonia and nitrites at 5 30 am tomorrow, and then 5 30 pm... I will do similar timeframes all week and possibly into next week before I take it down to once a day. I have seachem stability, prime, and an api test kit. What do you guys recomend on dosing for the stability? And at what point with nitrites do I do a water change? With ammonia I will be doing it at . Sound good? How long should I wait before getting 4 more black neons??? The fish are settling in, hiding in the plants for now... Poor things so stressed at being moved after living in the 10 gallon for over two years.

My water parameters are about .1 ppm ammonia, .15 ppm nitrites, and 20 ppm nitrates. I have filter media from an established tank in, should I do a water change yet? The ph is 7.2, I don't think getting it any lower will be necessary. Im dosing two capfuls o stability every day, probably until I strt seeing 0s on ammonia and less than .02 nitrites.

My biofilter is definitely working, all 3 levels are significantly up... Ammonia is at .25, nitrite at .2, and nitrates are at 30. I cant do a change, soonest time I can is in 6 hours... Ill dose some prime. Any other suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom