NinjaTetra's 37 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NinjaTetra

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, I'm finally getting my 37 gallon set up, about 7 months behind the planned schedule. Instead of creating a few dozen different threads whenever i have a question, I can just use this. My first question is, does this decoration take up too much space? I got it for $30 and its not returnable. If so, I may just end up holding on to it for years and years. The parental department originally told me 20 gallons was the largest I was allowed, so going out and getting this tank pushing it. Eventually, I'll get a larger tank. It will be occupied by peaceful fish and some apistos.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392499371.832522.jpg

Heres the tank, with just a rock tht will have an anubias and the decor

My first tank was 37g too. Certainly not a bad size. No that ornament should be fine, especially since you're going with a community tank. My tank was a lot more crowded with decorations that I ended up removing that now will sit around probably forever so it's better to buy less stuff first and add as you go. I'd add a few tall fake plants too so that the upper portions of the tank have some decoration.

Sorry, I should have specified. I'm not super new... Ive kept bettas and tetras, and platys for 5 years in 3s and 10s. This 37 is just much larger. Ive spent countless hours pouring through threads and articles on fish, so I'd say I know quite a decent amount and just lack experience. I am planting this tank... So, my next question is: is 2 inches of sandy gravelly stuff enough for plants? It is flora-max by carib sea. The people at the lfs said it was good for planted tanks. Ive only used 24 lbs of it, and I have another 24 sitting around ready to put in except that its at two inches. Ive spent almost two hours washing the sand before all the dust, dirt, and grime put of it. Tomorrow should I add another bag (12 lbs?). I can return the sand. I have an even more fine grained sand im gonna put on top of it. Thx in advance!

I think 2 inches at the front and 3 in the back would be perfect, but that is including whatever you would put on top.

Yeah, its sloped a bit.... I think ill just use this other 5 lbs and return the other two. Today I put in the decor, rocks, a java fern, and fill it with water. I have a really cool piece of petrified wood. I have some green string (made from cotton). If what I've heard is correct, ill tie the fern's roots tight enough so it won't float away, and then by the time the string rots away, the roots will be anchored fairly well to the rock. There are plenty of little grooves and porous parts for the roots to cling to.

Thanks. Right now its still filtering, plant not in yet. I need to re slope the gravel a bit too.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392588271.799943.jpg

The plant is a narrow leaf java fern. Tomorrow Ill be getting lots of vals, either a sword or a crypt or two, some baby tears, but what kind of floating plant do you all recomend?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392650577.846489.jpg

I tied it onto the petrified wood. How long about will it take for the rhizome and roots to all attach to the rock? I think I actually see a tiny bit of growth in some of the roots already. I do have some questions today. First, my sponge filter keeps floating up, and I finally got it to stay down but not in the right spot. *facepalm. Also, the people at the lfs recommended a certain sponge filter for my tank, and its large..... But I situated it behind a decoration. But the bubbles from it are huge and causing lots of surface tension. I still have four inches left to fill after I put plants in. Will that help, or should i try and get something like a piece of panty-hose over it? Will it make the bubbles finer? And lastly, my other tanks cleared faster. Its been 24 hours and has gone from pretty dark water to slightly cloudy. I rinsed the gravel until it came clear, but you know how filling a tank is. Anyway, should I put in some biomagnet clearer packet things? They came with the sand and said to put them in.

So you rinsed the sand right? When I put my sand in the water was cloudy for a good 2 days but then got crystal clear, but that's also because I have an established tank with Beneficial bacteria. Your tank had just started so right now more than likely its going through what's called a mini cycle where the water does get cloudy. I would wait another week and see if there have been ant improvements on water clarity. And what kind of filtration do you have again?

I have the out of tank one that comes with the tank- the kind that hangs off the rim- and a sponge filter- the kind that u hook a bubbler up to to create the suction. And yes, i rinsed the sand. I was just wondering cuz my family keeps asking me why it isnt perfectly clear yet, and i was wondering too. Also, i am using a bacterial supplement.... How long until O can add fish? Im not gonna do a 70 day cycle like some people, im not THAT patient. Is 2 weeks good? After that I will just have my 4 black neon tetras for awhile before adding more.

Yes my family is inpatient too when my tank water is cloudy and they want it to become clear. Do you by any chance know the name of the filter that hangs on the side if the aquarium? Otherwise known as Hang on back filter, HOB) and what kind of bacteria supplement are you adding? The only one out there that I have found that truly works is the Tetra Bacteria starter.

Oh thx! He HOB is a top fin 40 and the supplement is top fin bacterial supplement. Idk if it will work- i think my tank is large enough that 4 tetras shouldnt produce enough ammonia to be harmful for a long enough time to get bacteria started.

Oh yeah top fin bacteria supplement just won't work. Try Tetra Bacteria starter from petsmart. And it may take a while for your water to become clear because that filter is just generic. Its not really doing anything for your tank other than moving water. I would suggest an Aquaclear 70. I have one on my 29 gallon and it works like a charm. Crystal clear water. You see if you have a 37 gallon tank with a 40 gallon filter , the filter won't really be doing anything on that size aquarium. You wanna get a filter rated 2 times the size of your aquarium

Well my sponge filter is made for 50 gallon tanks. I didnt end up getting the plants today :(

I would raise the water level as see if that help with the noise/splash. You can do a fish in cycle if you do not want to wait. You would just need to faithfully do regular water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrites down. Plus the water changes may help with water clarity.

I plan on doing a bit of a fish in cycle. I read the thread Fish-In Cycle: Welcome to the Dark Side, or something like that. It was very informative. I still have to get plants, and with my schedule its probably today or two weeks from today. Okay, when I get home I will raise the water level. I have seen a surprising amount of growth from the java fern in two days, in the roots. Its not like a ton, but the roots are really starting to spread over the rock already, even if just a bit. I have one question- should i rinse out some filter media from my 10 gallon and place it into my new one? The cartridges (despite being different brands, sizes, and kinds) are the same width, and i could use it for awhile to introduce some bacteria. Also, I have an in tank ammonia monitor, but the ph monitor isnt working. The part that is supposed to be colored is just clear or maybe a bit dark grey.

I plan on doing a bit of a fish in cycle. I read the thread Fish-In Cycle: Welcome to the Dark Side, or something like that. It was very informative. I still have to get plants, and with my schedule its probably today or two weeks from today. Okay, when I get home I will raise the water level. I have seen a surprising amount of growth from the java fern in two days, in the roots. Its not like a ton, but the roots are really starting to spread over the rock already, even if just a bit. I have one question- should i rinse out some filter media from my 10 gallon and place it into my new one? The cartridges (despite being different brands, sizes, and kinds) are the same width, and i could use it for awhile to introduce some bacteria. Also, I have an in tank ammonia monitor, but the ph monitor isnt working. The part that is supposed to be colored is just clear or maybe a bit dark grey.

No real need to rinse the media. Just get it straight in there. If u do rinse it, NEVER under tap water. If you do a fish in cycle be sure to test your water parameters daily until your cycle is complete. Otherwise your family will be asking why your fish are floating motionless lol

Lol well i have a snail infestation in the old tank, and i would hate to introduce one into the new tank. And i have an in tank ammonia monitor... But do they sell nitrite and nitrate monitors? Also, I plan to have vals, baby tears, a crypt, and a decent amount of pennywort floating around. These will wll do ok with basic ferts, decent lighting, and liquid co2 dosing right?

Back
Top Bottom