nitrites blue?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brian7

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just want some opinions here.
Ammonia 0
Nitrite (I think 0)
Nitrate 5-10
My nitrite test was blue not any purple what so ever last night. This morning its very blue but may not exactly match to aqua on card... What do you think?
I think I am going to do like a 50% water change, and call it complete. My girlfriend really wants a pleco (who knows) so I may get that soon, I did a fish in cycle so I already have fish in there. Hopefully I am not jumping the gun at the very end, even if I am I can't see it causing too much trouble, especially only adding one fish.

*if you have read some of my other post sorry I may be repetitive but I am very anxious to end this lengthy process!

thanks!:fish2:

Hm, on some quick research it seems pleco's are algae eaters. You may not be able to add one for at least a few months yet until your tank matures. I'd ask about that around here before you add anything. You can ask about stocking options if you haven't already and get some feedback. It's better to take your time and research than be stuck with fish that aren't going to be happy in your tank.

I don't recall your other post, but it sounds like you are cycled. What all is in this tank, and what size is it? How long has it been testing 0's?

55 gallon with
5 long fin zebra danios and 6 female fancy guppies
atleast 24 hours maybe more

when you do a large water change like that i should obviously turn the filter off? i have a cartridge filter and the intake would be below water line. it just makes me nervous because bacteria are in the filter..

I'd turn the filter off if the water gets below the intake strainer, just so the filter doesn't run dry.

How long has this tank been running? I'd give it another day or two but if you are already fish-in cycling, adding a few more small fish at this point shouldn't make a huge impact in a 55g. Just remember that when you add fish to do just a few at a time, and then continue to test. Give it at least a week or two in between additions to give the biofilter time to adjust.

Back
Top Bottom